Can't really run FC from write-protected folder

Bugs and issues.
AngusSF

Can't really run FC from write-protected folder

#1 Post by AngusSF » 20.09.2010, 02:48

Although I can start FC from a write-protected folder (e.g. from a Utilities CD, from a write-protected USB drive, or from a shared network folder where I don't have write rights) and specify a location for the INI file where I have rights (e.g. %APPDATA%), FC complains bitterly if I attempt to define any keyboard shortcuts -- it wants write-rights to a TEMP folder under the program folder. Since I need to run my tools (like FC) from a write-protected USB stick when working on computers infected with malware, this is a real problem for me. At least with Total Commander all its config is in its INI file so just specifying the location of the INI file is enough -- it doesn't care that it can't write to the program folder.

This also breaks the new Win7 security model where users don't have the right to write to %programfiles% -- anything a program needs to write needs to go to "%appdata%\ProgramFolder".

Perhaps another command-line option like /WD= to specify the working directory where we have write-rights or /PD= to specify the location of INI files and keyboard shortcuts and the like would make this work.

IMHO, YMMV, alternate suggestions welcome.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Can't really run FC from write-protected folder

#2 Post by Marek » 20.09.2010, 20:13

The shortcuts are stored in freecommander.shc in the same folder as freecommander.ini.
It works for me fine.

Murfski

Re: Can't really run FC from write-protected folder

#3 Post by Murfski » 13.06.2011, 20:25

There are two ways to solve this one.
1. Edit the permissions of the FreeCommander folder to give your user account modify/edit rights to that folder.
2. Start FC using the "Run as Administrator" option, change the setting for the .INI location to somewhere you have modify rights, and save the settings.
Using the "Run as Administrator" option gives you temporary modify rights to the FreeCommander program folder.

Hope this helps

Murfski