Not exactly a bug per-se

Bugs and issues.
EtherealMonkey

Not exactly a bug per-se

#1 Post by EtherealMonkey » 08.05.2009, 02:29

But, I just noticed something not quite right when using the custom toolbars.

I created a custom bar for each machine in my network, then added all of the network shares of each machine

For the toolbar, I added an icon using the shell32 dll. It seems that the remaining shares which I added inherited from that assignment.

When looking at the freecommander.ini, I saw that the IconFile assignment was blank for the network shares added after assigning a toolbar icon, and the IconNr value was -1.

Here is how the problem presents itself:

When taking the computer (laptop) out of the primary network (i.e. assigning a different IP for roaming), Freecommander hangs indefinitely in the background and refuses to be brought to topmost even with some of the finest window manipulation utilities available. It is even extremely difficult to kill (although non-blocking while hung) even using the Sysinternals Process Explorer.

I eventually figured out the reason for this behavior and opened the freecommander.ini and assigned the IconFile value to shell32.dll and the IconNr to 85 (the same icon freecommander was displaying for the shares by default.

This fixed the problem, and I no longer have the issue of freecommander hanging in the background.

---

Perhaps I should give an example for clarity to make sure I describe the issue fully.

freecommander.ini before (freecommander hangs when drive shares not available and assigned to custom toolbars):

[Tools2050_PC1___Icon]
Category=PC1
Prg=
Dir=
Par=
DosFormat=0
IconNr=9
IconFile=C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll
HotKeyNr=-1
GHot=0
WinState=0
ShowInMenu=1
ShowInToolbar=1

[Tools2050_Data]
Category=PC1
Prg=\\10.10.10.1\Data$
Dir=
Par=
DosFormat=0
IconNr=-1
IconFile=
HotKeyNr=-1
GHot=0
WinState=0
ShowInMenu=1
ShowInToolbar=1

freecommander.ini after (no hanging freecommander):
---

[Tools2050_PC1___Icon]
Category=PC1
Prg=
Dir=
Par=
DosFormat=0
IconNr=9
IconFile=C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll
HotKeyNr=-1
GHot=0
WinState=0
ShowInMenu=1
ShowInToolbar=1

[Tools2050_Data]
Category=PC1
Prg=\\10.10.10.1\Data$
Dir=
Par=
DosFormat=0
IconNr=85
IconFile=C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
HotKeyNr=-1
GHot=0
WinState=0
ShowInMenu=1
ShowInToolbar=1

---

I know this is not a major issue, but I think that the frustration I experienced before fixing the issue could be easily resolved by having a default assigned icon for network drives when added as a custom toolbar instead of letting the application extract or inherit the icon from the system.

Thanks as usual,

E.