Retain color indication of activated Quick Filter [and other views] in the Inactive Panel

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Retain color indication of activated Quick Filter [and other views] in the Inactive Panel

#1 Post by Forez » 03.09.2018, 20:00

In FC we have 2 panel- one Active and one Inactive. And we can set for each different mode of display, right? We can apply to it the Quick Filter option or for example the Plain View [available under the CTRL + B shortcut] - and on top of this the user can pre-define a color for those options when they are active, right? That is great, as it is helpful a lot

But what happens when the user switches focus to the other panel, thus leaving such colored quick-filtered Panel in the Inactive mode? That specific color indication disappears. And that is not great, as it is not helpful at all

So I propose that FC should retain such indication of color. And to give the use a choice how much to retain it the settings should have three new options available:

A] None
Just leave the things as they are now. This would satisfy those who like the things as they are now. This could be the default setting

B] All
Keep all of the Inactive Panel lid up with color as if it was still Active. This would require from the user to distinguish Active Panel from the Inactive with other color options; so some users may like it and some may not

C] Minimum
Leave the color indication only at the very top where the icon of the folder is with that >>..<< thing. This would the best solution as it would clearly indicate both the panel being Inactive and the mode in which it is being displayed [assuming that the user would define also other color indications properly, like the color of the Quick Filter]. I personally would prefer this to be the default option in future releases of FC. Just imagine: a simple horizontal bar with a nice color that you yourself had picked, in a place that [if I am not mistaken] does not interfere with any other current settings / options- and that place is big enough to be easily spotted
Last edited by Forez on 09.04.2023, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Forez

Re: Retain color indication of Quick Filter [and other views] in the Inactive Panel

#2 Post by Forez » 13.09.2018, 19:34

Forez wrote: 03.09.2018, 20:00 [...]
But what happens when the user switches focus to the other panel, thus leaving such colored quick-filtered Panel in the Inactive mode? That specific color indication disappears. And that is not great, as it is not helpful at all
[...]
And I forgot to explain just why...

When that color indication disappears and you start doing some other work outside the FC [thus switching to other full screen software] or simply take a long break then you simply forget what exactly you were doing- that you have for example CTRL + B mode activated. And so you look at the Inactive Panel and think that what you see is a normal view [because there is no indication in the form of color, that you yourself have chosen some time ago, exactly for the purpose of alerting you of work being done i some mode of view other than the normal one]. And this thought holds up unless you switch focus between the Panels; and the other way around- after a break you have to switch Panels just to check if there is not some kind of mode of view being active in the Inactive Panel

Forez

Re: Retain color indication of Quick Filter [and other views] in the Inactive Panel

#4 Post by Forez » 25.09.2018, 20:50

Karol wrote: 13.09.2018, 20:52 Remove color for "Inactive panel".
I did. And it worked. But unfortunately there will be no thanks for you

Because: how am I suppose now to clearly distinguish Active Panel from Inactive Panel; you know: most of the time [and not just when using CTRL + B or whatever other mode]? By colors of tabs? I already have tried that approach and unless I had something like bright yellow for all of them in one Panel and intensive red for all the others in the other Panel, there was no way for me to not mistake from time to time one Panel with the other

The overall goal is to make a coherent in looking and user friendly in usage FreeCommander, by the means of carefully chosen colors [to the individual liking of a given user]- and not some forced LSD like kitsch, that tries to combat some particular current inability with a trade-off workaround
Last edited by Forez on 18.10.2018, 17:39, edited 2 times in total.

Forez

Re: Retain color indication of activated Quick Filter [and other views] in the Inactive Panel

#5 Post by Forez » 29.05.2023, 21:27

So, will there ever be added an option to have 2 separate colors for each of the Panels, when a user turns on e.g. Plain View mode in both of them? So that they could be [if a user sets them so] distinguished apart with just a quick glance?