Go Up Strip is half useless with less popular OS configuration

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Go Up Strip is half useless with less popular OS configuration

#1 Post by Forez » 17.06.2018, 13:51

Under the

Tools > Settings > View > Go Up Strip

the user can choose if a thin strip should appear if FC, that when clicked makes the active tab in active panel go up one level. That strip appears both left and right edge of the FC- so that the user can just move pointer to the side and click it without even looking at it when having FC in a maximized mode, right? Just another quick way to go up, when your mouse does not have that extra button

But what happens if the user sets up Windows Taskbar in a vertical way- on the edge of the screen? One of those strips becomes pretty much useless, as the user needs to aim at it first, before clicking it, navigating the pointer between the edge of FC panel and the edge of Taskbar. Even if it is 10 pixels wide it is still hard to click it- and if you multiple that by 2, then you loose 20 pixels of precious horizontal space

So what I am proposing in order to deal with this issue, is to add another option for that Go Up Strip- a possibility of displaying [both of them] at the very bottom of the FC. Then of course the color option [background start and background stop] should also have new option added to them- the direction in which it will go [vertical like it is now or horizontal like it could or should be when those strips will be placed at the bottom of FC]
Last edited by Forez on 10.07.2018, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

Fad

Re: Go Up Strip is half useless with less popular OS configuration

#2 Post by Fad » 10.07.2018, 11:10

Just to add another idea:

the option of having just one vertical strip that reacts differently whether the left or right mouse button is clicked on it...

left mouse makes the left panel go up a level and the right mouse button affects the right panel.

This doesn`t affect me personally but I understand the issue, the go up strip is the main reason I use FC.
I don`t use 99% of other features but couldn`t manage without the easy access strips :shock:

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 10.07.2018, 19:52

Fad wrote: 10.07.2018, 11:10 Just to add another idea:

the option of having just one vertical strip that reacts differently whether the left or right mouse button is clicked on it...

left mouse makes the left panel go up a level and the right mouse button affects the right panel
[...]
If we go further with upgrades then why not let the user decide if there should be 1 or 2 strips? Or even 3 or 4 [on the bottom and at the sides]? And let the user decide which of them would do what: go up or down

For me having one panel in different height would probably make it so odd that I would either use none of them or 2 of them. But having just one strip [right now on the right side of screen] would be something I could utilize- and not perceive it ass odd [because I would not notice the difference in width of panels]

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 12.05.2023, 05:09

I just wanted to bring up attention to this old propositions made by me and user Fad