Search/filter view for imbedded EXIF data, etc.

Suggestions and feature requests.
dsperber

Search/filter view for imbedded EXIF data, etc.

#1 Post by dsperber » 20.02.2016, 22:34

JPG picture files from cameras typically contain many imbedded metadata fields, e.g. EXIF fields. These extended fields are recognized by Windows and FCXE, and can be displayed as additional columns in Windows Explorer and FCXE if you manually add them.

Similarly, MP3/FLAC etc. music files also have tags with metadata field values, and again these are understood by Windows and can be presented as additional columns in Windows Explorer and FCXE if you manually add them.

It would be very useful if a simple easy-to-specify "search" or "filter view" could specify one or more of these metadata tag fields as part of the search argument. If a column is visible, then values in that column should be available to specify in a generalized "search/filter" view.

For example, I might want to look through hundreds of folders for all JPG files which were taken by my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone camera, all of which have "SCH-I545" in the "camera model" field of the EXIF metadata, so that I can then (a) select them all in order to then (b) right-click and COPY/MOVE them all to a single target folder, or maybe DELETE them all.

And of course the resulting subset Explorer "hit list" view should be able to then be sorted ascending/descending on any column heading, just like any other non-filter view.

And this "hit list" should be presented either normally with all folders/sub-folders shown in the Tree pane, as well as optionally "plain view files" with all filenames-only shown in the files pane.

Hopefully I've explained the goal adequately.

Timon

Re: Search/filter view for imbedded EXIF data, etc.

#2 Post by Timon » 21.02.2016, 08:26

Already discussed here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7138 (original topic)

dsperber

Re: Search/filter view for imbedded EXIF data, etc.

#3 Post by dsperber » 21.02.2016, 08:59

Timon wrote:Already discussed here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7138 (original topic)
True.

For better tracking, this is an official new feature request... derived from that other original discussion thread.