FreeCommander has a text file viewer, but what about editor?

Suggestions and feature requests.
mindstormer

FreeCommander has a text file viewer, but what about editor?

#1 Post by mindstormer » 02.12.2014, 18:35

1. Transitioning from CubicExplorer (development stopped--latest version was well over 2 years ago) and it had an internal text file editor, which was a very useful feature. Does FreeCommander have an internal text editor too?

2. Text file viewer should be able to view Microsoft Word files (weird text was displayed by the viewerwhen I viewed a simple .docx file). Maybe FreeCommander would benefit from supporting third-party applications--on CubicExplorer, SumatraPDF was integrated as an internal PDF viewer flawlessly. VLC integration for video files even? I prefer third-party integration of the most popular/versatile viewers such as SumatraPDF and VLC as opposed to internal ones because internal ones tend to be limited in features and functionality.

3. Also, can't seem to organize/customize icons here: http://i.imgur.com/kvr3WtL.png.

4. I've been receiving errors about some contextmenu when using 64-bit portable (I saw on the FAQ that this problem was mentioned, but the link it pointed to to address the problem was in another language and I couldn't access the English version of the directions). Also, probably too technical for me to understand how to fix myself.

5. For some reason, most open-source file explorers tend to be fairly ugly--they look and feel primitive even if they have a ton of features. CubicExplorer was very clean, uncluttered, but still packed with features. FreeCommander in my opinion is not as bad looking as others, but could definitely be cleaner and more modern without sacrificing features and accessibility.

Forgive me if the suggestions are already available on FreeCommander--just briefly tried it out and wanted to give my thoughts. Good to see development is still active (when can we expect the next version?).

ralfso

Re: FreeCommander has a text file viewer, but what about edi

#2 Post by ralfso » 02.12.2014, 22:58

FreeCommander supports external programs (settings > programs) as well as plugins (I think wlx and wcx).

Open internal viewer (file > view or F3), go to options > settings > Plugins. (search forum for "wlx")

You can find a lot of plugins at: http://www.totalcmd.net/directory/lister.html

For viewing nearly all file formats you can use ulister and the Oracle Viewer Technology (search forum for "Oracle")

I think look and feel of programs are really really subjective. FC is configurable in a lot of ways, so you can use it in many "look and feels".
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

mindstormer

Re: FreeCommander has a text file viewer, but what about edi

#3 Post by mindstormer » 03.12.2014, 18:04

Thank you for the informative reply. I'm new to open source applications and it's amazing how flexible these programs can be--I was amazed by all the plugins available (with users making and sharing their own plugins) to what I thought was an obscure type of program since I didn't think many people needed much more than the default file explorers offered by Windows/Linux distros.