Undo -- once more, with feeling.

Suggestions and feature requests.
Anthony2816

Undo -- once more, with feeling.

#1 Post by Anthony2816 » 22.11.2014, 04:59

Would still love to have an "Undo" function for use after file/folder copy/move operations.

I especially hate it when I accidentally drop a file I'm moving, at it ends up somewhere in the tree, so I have to search it out to retrieve it.

Timon

Re: Undo -- once more, with feeling.

#2 Post by Timon » 22.11.2014, 10:21

"Undo" function would be great!
Currently only "Explorer" in Windows 8 has such function (as I know). This will be a huge advantage over other file managers.

And it should be done in the same way it is done in Explorer:

To undo a recent operation, you can click the Undo command on the Edit menu, or you can click Undo on the toolbar. You can undo the following types of operation:
- Deleting a file, folder, or shortcut.
NOTE: You can undo a delete operation only if the deleted item is in the Recycle Bin. If you delete an item using the SHIFT+DELETE method, the item you are deleting is not placed in the Recycle Bin.
- Moving a file, folder, or shortcut.
- Pasting a file, folder, or shortcut.
You can undo only the last 10 operations. Note that when you undo an operation, the most recent operation is undone. For example, to undo the second operation out of the last three operations, you must undo the third operation first.

uwee

#3 Post by uwee » 24.11.2014, 16:44

+1 (or better +100)

For ME this would be a greater enhancement than f.e. FTP (i personally dont need that) because this a common problem happening very often....
Uwe

Nova

#4 Post by Nova » 15.03.2015, 17:40

+1 On my side, having this feature would mean donating once more to the project (!)

bege

#5 Post by bege » 22.03.2015, 19:42

+1

selimacar

#6 Post by selimacar » 24.03.2015, 14:08

Sometimes (very rare but if shit happens, it happens) can happen, that you move something to somewhere accidentally and you do not know WHAT you moved to WHERE!!!:-)

In my opigion a general LOG file, which contains log information of all copy, move, delete, rename operations, would be better for such situations and for UNDO related things.

bege

#8 Post by bege » 30.03.2015, 12:06

Either one would be fine, undo or log.

bestfilemanager

#9 Post by bestfilemanager » 10.01.2016, 11:17

Yes, I would love to see this feature too! I have only recently ordered and received FC 64 bit, and IMHO it beats Directory Opus (which was my favourite file manager by then of almost 15 or so that I've tried) in almost every respect - except the undo feature. Opus shows you the last 10 actions that are reversible, so you can choose which one(s) to undo. I know it is difficult, but I am sure you can make it! :-)

Conure

#10 Post by Conure » 14.01.2016, 23:06

+1

Bought the Lifetime deal. Was aghast to see no undo!

Timon

#11 Post by Timon » 15.01.2016, 06:53

Undo is not so easy to implement.

And to tell the truth, most people need to Undo 'delete' operations.

But everyone should understand that if you really deleted something, info is gone!
Of course, you can use some recovery tools. But with todays filesystems and SSD even that operations can fail.

You should also note, that in case of such a 'delete', we have no ability to actually delete files! And that is also causing a lot of problems, because you supposed that some space would be freed, but it would not work in such a way (we need to place them somewhere in case that we would need to Undo)!

The simpliest way to make undo for 'delete'... is to use Recycle bin. And Windows would be able to recover your data... (however that is not always the case, if you delete lots of files. Recycle bin can overflow, and Windows will simply clear it out)

bestfilemanager

#12 Post by bestfilemanager » 15.01.2016, 07:53

Timon wrote:Undo is not so easy to implement.

But everyone should understand that if you really deleted something, info is gone!
Of course, you can use some recovery tools. But with todays filesystems and SSD even that operations can fail.

You should also note, that in case of such a 'delete', we have no ability to actually delete files! And that is also causing a lot of problems, because you supposed that some space would be freed, but it would not work in such a way (we need to place them somewhere in case that we would need to Undo)!

The simpliest way to make undo for 'delete'... is to use Recycle bin. And Windows would be able to recover your data... (however that is not always the case, if you delete lots of files. Recycle bin can overflow, and Windows will simply clear it out)
Thanks for the response. I am fully aware this feature is not easy to implement. On the other hand, Directory Opus does it, in form of a list of undoable operations, and it works perfectly. I don't know about other filesystems, but in Windows FC is mainly used to replace Windows Explorer, and WE has this feature as well.

You wrote:
"You should also note, that in case of such a 'delete', we have no ability to actually delete files! And that is also causing a lot of problems, because you supposed that some space would be freed, but it would not work in such a way (we need to place them somewhere in case that we would need to Undo)!"

Of cource. I am sure the vast majority of people who want the undo feature are fully aware of this and do not have a problem with it. And in times where the standard HD on a new notebook has about 500 GB space, I doubt that this is a frequent problem anyway. To my knowledge, it is standard in Windows to use Recycle Bin, so normal 'delete' is a perfectly undoable operation. And most users are aware that if they empty Recycle Bin, the files that were in it cannot be restored (except sometimes with specific tools). The undo list should simply show only those operations as undoable that are in fact undoable. With neither DO nor WE (which both have the undo feature) have I heard many complaints - definitely less than I have heard about the undo feature being missing in FC. ;-)

Conure

#13 Post by Conure » 15.01.2016, 15:03

Timon wrote:Undo is not so easy to implement.

I'm sure its not an easy thing to do. I use XYPlorer and it has an undo with a history that sounds like what "bestfilemanager" wrote that Opus has. It works well in XY.

But let's break Undo down a bit, to maybe make it easier to implement:

Basic file operations are move, copy, and delete. And then you have rename and make directory/file. (I'm sure I'm missing some)

Copy is not too critical, because you're not losing data.
Delete can be recovered via recycle bin.
That leaves move. Can you guys focus on developing Undo with just Move in mind, for now?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#14 Post by Dreamer » 16.01.2016, 11:06

Conure wrote:Copy is not too critical, because you're not losing data.
Delete can be recovered via recycle bin.
That leaves move. Can you guys focus on developing Undo with just Move in mind, for now?
Win move operation delete the original files and then copy the new files to new location...

..Perhaps FC move operation could move the original files to recycle bin and then copy the new files to new location.

Timon

#15 Post by Timon » 16.01.2016, 16:11

I think it's better to start from 'Log for all file operations' (create, copy, move, rename, multi rename, delete (to recycle bin, permanently, wipe), pack and unpack (with used plugin info), ftp operations, ...).
And already after that try to implement 'Undo'.