how to turn off first character feature

Suggestions and feature requests.
bradwww

how to turn off first character feature

#1 Post by bradwww » 12.07.2014, 07:48

i have no idea what this "feature" is called but when i enter a letter to jump to a file name, some window comes up in the lower left of the screen and starts beeping at me - how do i turn this off? i just want the character typed to jump me to the files matching, nothing more.

also i am having trouble with ctrl-left arrow going to the parent folder - is this configurable? it used to work.

is there perhaps a quick guide to making this too do nothing more than windows exporer? like turn off all advanced features except tabs?

thanks!!
brad

joby_toss

Re: how to turn off first character feature

#2 Post by joby_toss » 12.07.2014, 09:53

1. It is called Quick search: http://www.freecommander.com/fcHelpXE/e ... arter.html
I don't know how to disable the small window while maintaining the functionality, but you can specify a 1 second closing time:

2. Tools -> Define keyboard shortcuts:

3. This is the only guide I know off: http://www.freecommander.com/fcHelpXE/e ... ander.html

bradwww

#3 Post by bradwww » 12.07.2014, 10:03

thanks again - i got it to hide the primary issue here is i want the program to stop beeping at me when i type a character to jump from one matching item to the second one "nn BEEP" - can't figure out why it would declare typing a matching character to get to the second item in the list to be an error??
thanks!
brad

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 12.07.2014, 10:10

Here is how it works: you're hitting "f" to go to the first item that starts with the "f" letter; if you want to go to the second item that starts with "f", you need to hit the Down arrow; if you hit "f" twice, you're getting an error beep because you have no item that starts with "ff".
Quick search does more than searching only by the first letter, it can search by the first few letters and you can even use the "*" wildcard.

bradwww

#5 Post by bradwww » 12.07.2014, 10:14

i see - so how can i get it to work more like win explorer and only allow a 1 character quick search?

switching to the down arrow requires you to completely re-seat your fingers AND it does not remain within the group of items you want to review that start with an "f"

furthermore this program goes to the next item that starts with an "f" anyway - so the only problem is it is declaring an error beep where none is warranted. i just need to turn off the beeping - other than that is finds the quick search items by letter perfectly.

thanks for the help!

brad

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 12.07.2014, 10:20

I think only Marek can change that behavior.