Do not show confirmation dialog for delete in file container

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Do not show confirmation dialog for delete in file container

#1 Post by Dreamer » 16.01.2021, 16:36

Do not show confirmation dialog when deleting files from file container, at least if standard delete don't use dialog either, or/and with additional option.

I think it's not different, if the file is deleted from standard folder tab, or file container tab, it's not danger, especially if the file is moved to recycle bin.

File container can be used as an intermediate, for example if the file is playing and can't be deleted, or if I plan to delete some files later, but I don't want to delete them immediately and I want them in the original location for some time.

840 + 841.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Do not show confirmation dialog for delete in file container

#2 Post by Dreamer » 12.02.2021, 23:30

Another issue, after I changed File Operation for Delete to FC, I have 2 confirmation dialogs now, when deleting a file from file container.

My goal is to have 0 confirmation dialogs, as in standard folder tab.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 16.06.2023, 17:53

It's already possible to delete item from file container without confirmation dialog if the option "Delete to recycle bin (FC) - no dialog" is used, but I'd like to use a standard "Delete" option.

Another problem for me is, that the confirmation dialog position is not saved, it's always in the middle of the screen, so if some other window is over the dialog, it's invisible, first I have to move the other window away, then click the dialog button and then move the other window back to previous position.

If the item in not in the file container, it's deleted without confirmation dialog if using command "Delete", so I think it would be safe to use the same way for file container too - also becuase it's possible with another command.

The problem with the option "Delete to recycle bin (FC) - no dialog" is, that I can't delete item immediatelly, while another large file is copied/moved in the queue, therefore I can't see, which items are/will be deleted in real time

Perhaps at least as ini option.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 19.07.2023, 17:42

Here are more arguments to remove that dialog:

I think the additional confirmation dialog for file container could be counterproductive and even danger.

- I'm used to delete files from file container often, so I'm used to just click OK for the confirmation dialog, but that could be danger, because if I want to delete files without recycle bin, using Shift+Del or toolbar button, I may click the Enter / OK quickly too - and I may delete a wrong file permanently, by mistake.

- When using the option "Don't move file to the recycle bin. Remove file immediately when deleted." for Windows Recycle Bin - and also disable the option "Display delete confirmation dialog", deleting a file from file container shows the same confirmation dialog for deleting to recycle bin and for deleting permanently, which could be danger, no matter if it shows another confirmation dialog or not.

- When using the option "Display delete confirmation dialog" for Windows Recycle Bin, deleting a file from file container shows 2 confirmations dialogs every time.

- When using the option "Use FreeCommander" for Delete file operations, deleting a file from file container shows 2 confirmations dialogs every time.

If anyone wants a confirmation dialog for file container, it can be added easily, in Windows Recycle Bin options or/and in the FC Settings, using the proper Delete option.

BTW While testing I found few bugs, I'll report them in a new topic.

Forez

#5 Post by Forez » 20.07.2023, 09:57

And I would argue that this confirmation dialog informing that
This operation deletes objects from both the disk and the container!
is valuable fail-safe. But if user after it sees also the Delete window and has to OK it, then it becomes redundant thus annoying

But if an option is added to turn it off, then by default it should stay as it is now [i.e. turned on]

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 31.07.2023, 22:12

Implemented in 892 as ini option, thanks, Marek.

Code: Select all

ShowWarningOnDeleteInFileContainer=1
1 - show warning dialog for delete in file container, default option
0 - don't show warning dialog for delete in file container

Closed.