Using FC to organize and play music files through Winamp

Discussion, questions and support.
Fred Glavin

Using FC to organize and play music files through Winamp

#1 Post by Fred Glavin » 09.04.2008, 21:36

I just discovered this wonderful program a few days ago, while looking for a windows explorer replacement. I would like to tell you how I use it for music playback. Winamp, the most versatile software music player there is, will integrate nicely with windows explorer with right-click context menus. I use a ramdisk to which I copy music or video files for playback, as this cuts back enormously on hard drive access and thus wear and tear on hard drive.
Copy music files to ramdisk, select the files, right-click on them and select "play with Winamp", or "Enqueue in Winamp" and this will add files to Winamp playlist and begin playing them directly from ram memory. Winamp's native media library is not a windows explorer shell, and will not allow these functions, nor will any plug-in that I have been able to find. Windows explorer itself will do these functions, but we all know how clumsy and limited its functionality is. Thankfully Winamp, will also integrate right-click menus with FC, so FC can be configured in a pleasing and very functional way as a music playback frontend. Copying and deleting music files from ramdisk becomes a breeze. Thank you Marek,for this very fine program.

Mar2zz

#2 Post by Mar2zz » 18.04.2008, 20:37

Download portable winamp lite, extract it, throw it inside fc-installmap and define it as a favorite tool with relative path. Now it wil appear in fc's toolbar and you can drag 'n drop musicfiles on that winamp-icon, and winamp will load the dropped files/folders in it's playlist. Portable and without contextmenu (which you wouldn't have if you use an usb-stick and use fc on a computer where no winamp is installed.)