freecommander and explorer.exe

Discussion, questions and support.
user

freecommander and explorer.exe

#1 Post by user » 19.03.2008, 11:38

hello

I am not sure how freecommander works

does it uses explorer.exe to get access to the folders and files and then displays the information with its own style?

does it use explorer.exe to perform its tasks? (eg copy, paste, etc)

or it is totaly independent of explorer.exe?

I am asking this, because I see very little or maybe zero difference between freecommander and explorer.exe, when I compare the speed, system resources consumption, stability, etc

I love the interface of freecommander, but I really need a more optimized, stable and fast file manager, that will be able for example to open fast a dir with many subfolders, etc and not just to offer customized buttons and menus

thanks

user

#2 Post by user » 30.03.2008, 04:34

anyone???

Jirka

#3 Post by Jirka » 30.03.2008, 11:25

I don't know answers for you questions but - if you feel that FC is not so optimized as you need - there is nothing against using another piece of software for you.

Fad

#4 Post by Fad » 31.03.2008, 10:49

I don`t know about the low level workings of FC either, or if it calls on explorer to do anything.....

but the speed of displaying/copying/moving files and folders is also reliant on the underlying speed of the pc as a whole.

I don`t believe FC (or any other filemanager) claims to magically superboost file management beyond what "Windows Explorer" can do, but they do make things a lot easier when organising things.

I`ve always used a filemanager even back to the days of the Amiga and couldn`t do without one now......I know some people who do not use any kind of filemanager and rely on explorer completely, and may not want to use an alternative method, so it depends on what people are used to.

I can`t notice any speed issues in FC opening folders with many files and/or folders....

a folder with 3000 files and another with 800 folders inside opens instantaneously here...just like Windows Explorer, I don`t think there`s any way of making it better.

It`s already been mentioned that the use of the windows copy/move function can be overridden with a 3rd party tool such as Supercopier or TeraCopy, if that was causing you any problems ?

:wink:

user

#5 Post by user » 01.04.2008, 16:24

Fad wrote: I don`t believe FC (or any other filemanager) claims to magically superboost file management beyond what "Windows Explorer" can do, but they do make things a lot easier when organising things.
I think many users search for an alternative file managers, not only because of new features, but because of increased speed and lower sys resource consumption as well

everybody sees discussions in forums about faster file managers and benchmarks (however I don't know if developers claim their program is supposed to be faster than Windows Explorer)

ofcourse I strongly believe that Windows Explorer has not reached the state where there has been taken the maximum advantage of what hardware has to offer at the moment

(this is proven in many other aspects, eg emeditor opens much faster large text files than notepad)

but again, if FC access folders and files via explorer, you should expect increased lag (you add FC lag + Windows Explorer lag)

and if file managers cannot access by themselves files and folders they may use cmd to do it which I would consider faster than Windows Explorer

but they don't need an OS element to do it, then I suppose proper software development would deliver better results than Windows Explorer in terms of speed and sys resource consumption (I doubt Windows Explorer is the milestone)
Fad wrote: It`s already been mentioned that the use of the windows copy/move function can be overridden with a 3rd party tool such as Supercopier or TeraCopy, if that was causing you any problems ?
yes, I know this, I am talking about opening dirs though