Edit File Description Properties

Discussion, questions and support.
RobinBanks

Edit File Description Properties

#1 Post by RobinBanks » 30.08.2015, 22:53

I am using FreeCommander for the first time. In Windows Explorer I make use of description file properties (Title, Tags, Subject, Comments, etc). In Windows Explorer I edit values in the Details pane at the bottom, as described here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... -to-a-file

I cannot find any way to edit these properties in FreeCommander. Am I missing something?

Robin

RobinBanks

Re: Edit File Description Properties

#2 Post by RobinBanks » 15.09.2015, 22:29

Sixteen days later I see that 79 people have read my post but no-one has replied. This is a shame. For me file description properties (FDPs) are an invaluable feature. I have over 900 MS Word files in a folder each containing the lyrics of a song. I have texts in 12 languages. With carefully added FDPs for title, tags and subject I can filter by a language, sort by composer, sort on text source, and perform other database like queries — all on a simple list of files. It is all very wonderful, and it is built into Windows 7. Does FreeCommander not integrate this?

Robin

ralfso

#3 Post by ralfso » 15.09.2015, 22:38

What version do you use?
You posted this question in FreeCommander forum for the old (2009) version.

Have you tried to add the column of your interest to details view?
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 16.09.2015, 07:17

Right click your .doc file, go to Properties, switch to Details tab and edit away. Just like in Windows explorer.

BGM

#5 Post by BGM » 24.03.2016, 22:05

joby - you can add comments to doc files this way, but how do you add them to zip files?
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 25.03.2016, 00:10

Yes, Windows lets you add comments only for certain file types (OP mentioned MS Word files, that's why I gave that .doc example).
I use 7-Zip to add/check comments for .zip files.
A dedicated tagging system would be nice for XE.

BGM

#7 Post by BGM » 25.03.2016, 05:44

I wish I could add comments to files. This would really help to keep me organized - I could keep notes on why I downloaded this thing or that thing. Right now I go through my downloads and can't remember, so I just delete anything I can't recognize. If I could add a note to the file then it would help a lot.

I'm thinking I'd like to see the note appear in the status bar or in a little popup tooltip at the bottom of the window - kind of like Firefox's url flasher. Or even a dockable panel at the bottom of the tab.

I always keep my view set to "list" because I can see more files at once and don't much care for using "details" unless I have to find something with a specific date. But I have a widescreen monitor and most of the status bar is wasted with the commandline that is a mile wide. Showing the file-comment there would be quite nice.

Actually, if I had anything to wish for, it would be a little dockable panel at the bottom of the tab. I could type in it with a GTD manner - just freely type and the comment would be attached to the file. Problem with comments is they have to be *put* somewhere - either in the file's properties or in a db. It makes sense to insert them in the file's properties so that when the file is moved you don't have to modify a db to go with it. But Windows Explorer (and xyPlorer) sort of has a little panel like this - it shows you file properties. If FC could have a little panel like this, maybe it could show comments, too in an editbox where you can freely type within.
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)