Opening my text editor by double click is very slow

Discussion, questions and support.
eddie

Opening my text editor by double click is very slow

#1 Post by eddie » 18.02.2014, 16:26

Hi,

since a few days I have the following problem:

If I double click (or press enter) on a text file to open my text editor this is very slow (taking always several seconds, up to 10).

Within the explorer the text editor opens as fast as before...

And interesting: If I select more than one file for opening all of the selected files open very fast. This behavior is reproducible.

freecomander version: 2009.02b
Windows 7, 64-bit

Any ideas what causes this problem? It's very annoying.

Eddie

joby_toss

Re: Opening my text editor by double click is very slow

#2 Post by joby_toss » 18.02.2014, 21:19

Could you try the new stable version (FC XE) and see if the problem persists? FC 2009 is not maintained anymore (and doesn't have many users left, either).

eddie

#3 Post by eddie » 19.02.2014, 08:09

With the new version I don't have this problem.

Ok, so I'll switch - though I still prefer the old version. :-)
(Because I could adjust the layout more to my needs, like changing toolbar size).

Thanks for your hint,
Eddie

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 19.02.2014, 21:09

eddie wrote:...I still prefer the old version. :-)
(Because I could adjust the layout more to my needs, like changing toolbar size).
Are you sure? In the new XE version everything is much more configurable, incl. the toolbar. What exactly would you like to change - the button size?

eddie

#5 Post by eddie » 20.02.2014, 09:58

Maybe I didn't find where to change what I'd like to change.

One is the size of the buttons of the toolbar (and other buttons like drive icons), the next is how copying works. With the old version I could assign my own comfirmations "no ask" for copying and moving files with F5. And, if I remember correctly I could exchange the meaning for F5 and Shift-F5 (but I forgot how to do that).

If this would be possible to get this done I would be happyly using the new version. :-)

Eddie

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 21.02.2014, 01:28

Right click the toolbar > Customize action toolbars... > select the toolbar and change the icon/button size.

Open the Settings, go to File/folder operations > and select "use FC" for all operations.

Regarding the F5/F6, you can change the shortcuts in menu > Tools > Define keyboard shortcuts, type copy, then move in filter to easily find the options, just change the F5/Shift+F5...

Then start copying large file, (pause, cancel - if needed) and click the third tab "Settings", you can use the option "Auto minimize when starting the operation" - you can use FC and the file is copying in background - just hit F5/F6 once, no dialog, it's possible also for delete.

Regarding the drive button size - it's not possible to change the size AFAIK, but you can change many options in the settings > view > drives.

eddie

#7 Post by eddie » 24.02.2014, 08:14

Wow - now it looks nearly perfect for me.

Thanks for your help - without it I wouldn't have found all possible modifications (there are quite a few changes to the old version).

Eddie

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 24.02.2014, 22:35

You're welcome.

I agree it's not easy to find some options and features, even I found some of them just thanks to this forum, but some are more intuitive now, "copy/copy with dialog" shortcuts for example.