Previewing files in the right hand pane

Discussion, questions and support.
jnb

Previewing files in the right hand pane

#1 Post by jnb » 31.01.2008, 22:11

So, the main reason I installed FreeCommander was to have the ability to preview files - nothing fancy, just Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. There are apparently many different things one can do with FreeCommander, but that's my basic need. Since the native Windows Explorer won't do this basic function, a third party tool is needed (and I really like the FreeCommander interface compared with others out there).

Sooooo...I like to run FreeCommander with 3 panes - the top level tree on the far left pane (the C drive and all folders underneath), the middle pane with the "target folder" (My Documents, for example), and the right pane displaying the file I want to preview (I'd like to compare my current resume with a resume from 2 years ago, for example).

When I drill down through the tree in the middle pane (C>My Documents>Janet>Active Files>Job Search>Resume122807), the logical choice is then to click on the file names "Resume 122807" in order to preview it in the far right pane.

However, by clicking on the file name, the host program (MS Word) will open and then display the file (document) within a separate window. Uhhhhh...the whole reason I want to use FreeCommander is to *avoid* having to open one file after another in the host program.

I just want to preview the file in the right hand pane, one file (or document) after another.

Does Word have to be up and running in order for the preview to work? What if I don't want to open Word - the preview function won't work?

Is the only way to run the preview function to use the QuickView command in the View menu?

Is there a toolbar button that I'm missing that will do the same thing for me?

Is there a right click option (my favorite kind) that will do the same thing?

I just tried it now, and when I click once on the file name in the middle pane, then the file is previewed in the right pane. It seems like FreeCommander needs to "warm up" before doing the display function correctly (as silly as that sounds)

Suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

Marek
Author
Author

#2 Post by Marek » 04.02.2008, 21:27

However, by clicking on the file name, the host program (MS Word) will open and then display the file (document) within a separate window. Uhhhhh...the whole reason I want to use FreeCommander is to *avoid* having to open one file after another in the host program.
Try to use Ctr+Q for quick view function and avoid double clicking. Word will start for double clicking.
Does Word have to be up and running in order for the preview to work?
No, this is not necessary.
Is the only way to run the preview function to use the QuickView command in the View menu?
You can use the shortcut Ctrl+Q and the buttons: toolbar or splitter. You can configure the toolbar and splitter under Extras->Settings.
Is there a right click option (my favorite kind) that will do the same thing?
No.

Code: Select all

I just tried it now, and when I click once on the file name in the middle pane, then the file is previewed in the right pane. It seems like FreeCommander needs to "warm up" before doing the display function correctly (as silly as that sounds) 
This is not known to me. :).

ben418

word files preview

#3 Post by ben418 » 08.02.2008, 15:54

I have exactly the same problem.
I Use word 2007.
When I do a single left clic or a right clic on a .doc file freecommder opens automatically word...

If I do the same with a pdf file, everything is ok ...
single clic -> preview
double clic -> opens acrobat reader...

Is it a word issue ?
Ben

denver67

Re: Previewing files in the right hand pane

#4 Post by denver67 » 18.02.2015, 23:19

HI. I am having a similar issue with the latest version of Free Commander. When I click on the word doc that i wish to view in the quick view panel it previews as base text without formatting. Is this normal? Is it possible to view these items with proper formatting? Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss » 19.02.2015, 11:59

Are you referring to FreeCommander XE? 'Cause you've posted in the forum for old FreeCommander 2009.

Anyway, get the latest FC XE package from the main site and use a plugin that allows you to properly preview .doc files. I personally use uLister, but you can choose another one from here: http://www.totalcmd.net/directory/lister.html

denver67

#6 Post by denver67 » 19.04.2015, 03:35

Sorry for posting in the wrong area but thanks for your help.