Synchronize Folders - Delete files, but not folders

Discussion, questions and support.
Kron_Khal

Synchronize Folders - Delete files, but not folders

#1 Post by Kron_Khal » 29.01.2008, 20:41

Hello!

First, I'd like to congratulate all the FC team... FreeCommander is a nice and useful piece of software!

I'm using the "Synchronize Folders" function to backup my work from my PC to a USB key. I'm choosing the following options:
- with subfolders
- both green arrow buttons selected
- both blue arrow buttons selected
- unequal option selected

After the clicking the "Compare" button, I click on "Synchronize". On the new window, I select "Asymetric - backup of the left side". I also check "Delete" in the "Files which exist only on the right" option under "Right to Left".

Everything works just fine: All the files in the target folder are deleted, except the unused folders that contained the deleted files.

So, my question: Is the directory structure also synchronized? If no, it could be good to have it synchronized as well.

Im running FreeCommander 200710a on Windows XP Pro SP2.

Thanks.

Marek
Author
Author

#2 Post by Marek » 29.01.2008, 21:02

Now only files are synchronized.
I will add an option to the delete empty folder.

Alistair George

#3 Post by Alistair George » 17.02.2008, 23:18

Marek wrote:Now only files are synchronized.
I will add an option to the delete empty folder.
It might be too hard but it would be good to be able to synchronize directory with option of no file move.
For example, I create a complicated directory structure for my 'downloads' folder which has eg utilities/system and so on to make the directories clear. This directory list is replicated on a DVD, then ideally I would be able to using Filecommander, pull the directory list off the DVD without files and replicate it on another location. In other words Filecommander makes an empty directory structure which is a copy of a directory structure that may already have files within.
Thank you.
Alistair.

Alistair George

#4 Post by Alistair George » 17.02.2008, 23:53

Recalled:
xcopy *.* c:\temp /t/e

That does the same thing perhaps you could include as a shell command?

Kron_Khal

#5 Post by Kron_Khal » 19.02.2008, 14:50

Alistair George wrote: ... I would be able to using Filecommander, pull the directory list off the DVD without files and replicate it on another location. In other words Filecommander makes an empty directory structure which is a copy of a directory structure that may already have files within.
I think you mean FreeCommander... ;)

Kron.

peter_vc

#6 Post by peter_vc » 15.10.2008, 22:00

Being able to synchronize directory structure would be very handy.