Set Windows 7 to use FreeCommander XE in place of Explorer

Discussion, questions and support.
fcny

Set Windows 7 to use FreeCommander XE in place of Explorer

#1 Post by fcny » 02.01.2013, 17:04

I searched the forums here to try to find out a straight forward means of configuring Windows 7 (I'm running the 64 bit version) to use FreeCommander XE (version 0.0.0.591) in place of Windows Explorer as the DEFAULT file manager. I found plenty of explanations - but they all seemed to be for the NON XE version of FreeCommander.

Is there an explanation for how to do this with the XE version ?

Thanks

Scott_Y

Re: Set Windows 7 to use FreeCommander XE in place of Explor

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 11.01.2013, 01:44

Tools menu > Redirect Win+E to FreeCommander.

mag7ue

#3 Post by mag7ue » 09.05.2013, 17:16

Ok, this is the second place on this forum I've seen this solution. However, I can't find the "tools" menu for the life of me. What am I missing? This is frustrating.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 09.05.2013, 18:52

Try the new FC, XE version:

mag7ue

#5 Post by mag7ue » 09.05.2013, 20:05

Ah, excellent. I wasn't aware that 2009.02b wasn't the latest.

sklorpion

#6 Post by sklorpion » 01.08.2013, 23:31

After setting this option up "Redirect Win+E to FC", and "Save Settings" everythig works till reboot. Why, how come, and how can i fix it?

Thank you for support

Genialny program, dzięki za włożoną pracę.

Sicknero

#7 Post by Sicknero » 02.08.2013, 01:31

sklorpion wrote:After setting this option up "Redirect Win+E to FC", and "Save Settings" everythig works till reboot. Why, how come, and how can i fix it?

Thank you for support

Genialny program, dzięki za włożoną pracę.
Try running FreeCommander as Administrator, just once so you can Redirect Win+E. A lot of software needs this to make system changes.

sklorpion

#8 Post by sklorpion » 02.08.2013, 15:16

nothing. Got to do it each time...

Sicknero

#9 Post by Sicknero » 02.08.2013, 22:28

I'm not really sure then sorry...

When I said run FC as Adminstrator, I meant to right-click FreeCommander.exe then select "Run as adminstrator". Sorry I don't know how familiar you are with all this so I thought I'd mention it.

Other options ... it's not too difficult to add "Open with FreeCommander" to the context menu of folders and drives, and you could also just set up an alternative hotkey to open it and forget about Win+E.

If you want it to be the default file manager when you double click on a folder, I'm not sure... I used to do that in XP using the File Types dialog, but I'm not sure if that would work in W7. I just had a quick look and there doesn't seem to be a file type that corresponds to directories. Might find it if I have a better look though.

*Edit... I just remembered that Q-Dir has an option to replace Explorer as the default file browser, so that for example double-clicking My Computer on the desktop opens Q-Dir instead of Windows Explorer. It wouldn't be difficult probably to find out what registry changes it makes and translate them to FC, I could do that anyway just out of interest.

*Edit 2 ... globally replacing Explorer with FC can be done quite easily. All you need to do is run Q-Dir, set it to "default browser for all" in its own options, then in the registry find the relevant entry and replace the Q-Dir path with that of FC. It's actually only one entry and then every directory that is double clicked opens FC.

As regards redirecting Win+E, I've just been trying that here and I have the same issue, it only works until I reboot. Obviously Windows is reversing the change on boot up so I'm guessing it must have something to do with protected system operations. Has anyone else found a way around this..?

I've found a few solutions on-line that make use of AHK or AutoIt but hopefully there's some way to make FC do it itself. Alternatively of course we can just use a different key combination.