Structure View

Discussion, questions and support.
username1114

Structure View

#1 Post by username1114 » 20.08.2012, 02:00

I don't know if this feature is present in FC XE..maybe it is, so I'll post this here instead of
posting it in 'feature requests'..is there an option to view folders with their files and subfolders
in one list?
For example..if you have 5 folders in a panel..you can turn on the option and it will show the five folders,
below each folder, with a little indentation, its subfolders and files are displayed...
this can save you time in opening a folder and 'going up' until you find what you're looking for(assuming you're looking for
something)..

Scott_Y

Re: Structure View

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 20.08.2012, 02:20

FC-XE does not have the feature you describe, but there are at least two methods which may achieve your goal of finding a file without having to repeatedly go up and down through folders.

- Find (shortcut Alt+F7, or in 598: Ctrl+F), with "Search In Subfolders" enabled.

- Plain View Files (also called "Flat View" in some file managers; shortcut Ctrl+B).

Only the first method will show the folder location of what is found, but you have to know at least part of the name or contents first.
The second method doesn't show the folder location, but you can view the file names if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

uwee

#3 Post by uwee » 20.08.2012, 15:01

Scott_Y wrote: The second method doesn't show the folder location, but you can view the file names if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.
additon: there are two possibilites to see the folder location also in plain view
- mouse cursor over folder name shows the folder location in a tooltip for a few seconds
- in details view you can choose a special column named "Path", which shows the folder location continuously (you can sort the items to this column and receive a similar view as requested and you can define a custom column profile especially for the condition "plain view" and have this column shown automatically :D :D)
Uwe

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 20.08.2012, 17:01

uwee wrote:- in details view you can choose a special column named "Path" ...
Excellent, uwee -- that works great! Thanks for teaching me something new and useful :D

Because the Path column can be so wide, I'm using two shortcuts together: Ctrl+B (plain view) and F10 (toggle single pane - in 598) to quickly set up an easily readable plain view pane. (I have customized Ctrl+N to auto resize columns, and that is also useful here.)

There is yet another way to see the path in plain view: click on a file, and the path will be shown in the status bar. But it is much easier to have a path column as you described. It would be even better if there was a "Relative Path" option so the column would be more narrow and easier to read, but it's not available.