Review of FreeCommander

Discussion, questions and support.
raywood

Review of FreeCommander

#1 Post by raywood » 21.06.2012, 20:07

I have done a writeup of FreeCommander at http://raywoodcockslatest.blogspot.com/ ... rking.html, based on my knowledge to date. Comments and corrections are welcome, here or at that location. I am particularly interested in the question of opening particular folders in multiple sessions or tabs.

Scott_Y

Re: Review of FreeCommander

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 23.06.2012, 20:05

It appears that you tested FreeCommander 2009. I think that most, if not all, of your wishes are met in the current version, FreeCommander XE (stable beta) -- either in its default capabilities or by tweaking the extensive settings options. For example, FC-XE remembers multiple tabs and locations across sessions. And you can optionally have a separate navigation tree for each panel.

raywood

#3 Post by raywood » 24.06.2012, 14:12

Sorry, I didn't phrase that very well. Is there a way to specify, on the command line, which folder should open in a new FreeCommander session or tab? In Windows Explorer, the /e option allows me to specify the folder desired.

Karol

#4 Post by Karol » 24.06.2012, 15:02

From the FAQ
Which command line parameters can I use with FreeCommander?

You can use the following parameters: /L=, /R=, /Z, /Ini=, /NewIni=, /Lng=, /N, /C

/L= Sets path in the left window
/R= Sets path in the right window
/Z For usage with /C parameter - interprets the passed paths as source/target instead of left/right.
/Ini= Starts FC with a different INI file instead of freecommander.ini. A new file will be created if the defined file does not exist.
/NewIni= Starts FC with a different INI file instead of freecommander.ini. A new file will always be created. If defined file exists, it will be deleted first.
/Lng= Starts FC with a different language file instead of that defined in config file
/N Starts FC in any case as new instance
/C Starts FC and passes the command line parameters to the already running instance

Scott_Y

#5 Post by Scott_Y » 24.06.2012, 16:59

Raywood, your review of FC mentioned that the folder tree shows only the drive of the open tab (which is true), so you had to change drives by clicking on the drive toolbar. I find it easier to navigate drives using the shortcuts Shift+<drive.letter>. But then I much prefer keyboard shortcuts over the mouse. An alternative is to keep a tab open to each drive.

raywood

#6 Post by raywood » 25.06.2012, 02:09

For some reason, I looked right past the /L= and /R= options. I think I was originally looking at the INI option for something else, and continued to focus on that. Anyway, thanks for the reminder.

The Shift-[drive letter] option really is handy.

Thanks for the feedback.