files and folders in MIXED mode in Details view?

Discussion, questions and support.
rootazoid

files and folders in MIXED mode in Details view?

#1 Post by rootazoid » 17.05.2012, 16:29

I just installed v2009.02b with no prior experience of FC. VERY nice! But one main question about something I don't find in the settings:

I want to view files and folders in MIXED mode. i.e. if a file is named say "taurus2008.html" I want it to show in Details view adjacent to any folder named "taurus2008".

I use this as an example because when saving a page from Firefox AS 'Web page complete' this will occur, a file and a folder. Then when I want to do any later file operations on them both I want to see them next to each other in Details view. Is there a setting for this, to make it the default Details view?

One other thing, I see there's a button for 'Size of directories' (KB). Is there a setting to make this the default?

ralfso

Re: files and folders in MIXED mode in Details view?

#2 Post by ralfso » 17.05.2012, 19:07

1. Freecommander XE can do this sorting method (Sorting folders like files) http://www.freecommander.com/fc_beta_en.htm

2. I think this isn't a very comfortable idea because the directory size has to be calculated each time a folder with subfolders is viewed and makes the viewing slow. But you can use Alt+F9 as shortcut.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

rootazoid

#3 Post by rootazoid » 17.05.2012, 21:03

Thanks so much for the link to XE! It does exactly what I wanted. Settings/File-FolderList/Sorting/FoldersLike Files YAY!

And yes I realized the subfolder size display could be time consuming. For me though it's quick enough. I did the Folder/Size on a whole partition, pretty fast. And then did the Save Settings. Then I restarted the program, it brought up that partition, as expected, then I clicked into a huge folder full of large subfolders and the sizing was instant! Maybe for some people you may be right it's best left as an option.

Now, I just have to figure out what I'm missing in XE compared to the normal FC. I see much fewer buttons...

rootazoid

#4 Post by rootazoid » 17.05.2012, 21:07

Btw, on the XE page it says:
FreeCommander XE ZIP (download) does not include an installation-procedure but consists only of a ZIP-archive which contains all required FreeCommander XE files. The ZIP-archive can be extracted into a directory of your choice and FreeCommander XE can be started from this directory. However there will be no FreeCommander symbols created in the start menu and on the desktop.
For me this wasn't true, the Zip extracted to a regular exe installer, and the program shows up in my Start menu .

ralfso

#5 Post by ralfso » 17.05.2012, 23:25

Then you downloaded fcxe_setup.zip and not FreeCommander XE ZIP.
Both versions are on this site.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545