Open Source

Discussion, questions and support.
Zukix

Open Source

#1 Post by Zukix » 03.12.2007, 18:48

Hi,

Would you consider opening the source under GPL?

If not, why not?

thanks!

kayta

GPL is very good

#2 Post by kayta » 04.12.2007, 01:11

I absolutely agree to the GPL license. You will get more helps and more users.

Drupal is one example of a very successful GPL software.

You'll be more famous.

Alex

#3 Post by Alex » 04.12.2007, 03:46

(del)
Last edited by Alex on 07.02.2008, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

tay7er

#4 Post by tay7er » 07.02.2008, 17:29

+1

sportember

Offer for donation

#5 Post by sportember » 18.02.2008, 01:04

I'm also quite interested in Zukix's question.

I would like to set an offer for 100 Euros bounty to Marek in the case of opening up the source of FreeCommander under any of the OSI approved licences compatible with the GPL. This offer is valid for at least three months from now.

But I am also quite interested in discussion and thoughts about doing it.

sailor.nir

#6 Post by sailor.nir » 28.02.2008, 23:27

I add my enthusiastic vote to the request. I would be happy to join the development as well is chip in to the piggie bank.

Does Marek read this? Any way to catch his attention?

sportember

Discussion

#7 Post by sportember » 12.03.2008, 20:38

Any thougths or consideration, any response?

I am pretty interested in any response, Marek!

Mar2zz

#8 Post by Mar2zz » 20.04.2008, 14:02

I totally agree with the above, opensource > freeware. Untill then please don't get hit by a bus Marek, or put this fine piece o' software in your testimony and leave it to sourceforge...

Or else, couldn't you provide some kind of plugin-option, that could be open source? A plugin that lets other programs use one of the panels in FC.
(An option to add to favorite tools, start maximized, start minimized, start in panel)

(for example, in the right a notepad++window for preview or quick-edits, in the left the folder with the files that needs to be edited...)

sportember

Not in these days

#9 Post by sportember » 21.04.2008, 16:50

I hope I don't do any indiscretion, We had an e-mail conversation with Marek, and he wrote that he did not have any plans to open up FreeCommander's source code.

:cry:

We'll have to get another open source orthodox file manager if we really want to have one.

braykov

#10 Post by braykov » 08.05.2008, 10:21

Actually I initially turned to FreeCommander after using TotalCommander for a long time because I thought it was open source.
Recently, I decided to stick to open source / GPL software and throw away any proprietary stuff.
I was really disappointed to find out that I have to pay to be able to use the beta versions.

Marek, your product is gorgeous. It has great potential. And I was willing to contribute for it.
I am a beta tester (along with other things I do), and I participate in submitting bugs in several large products.
But I am not going to pay to submit bugs to you. Usually people get paid for doing this. And I mean it makes no sense of submitting bugs if I can't check if they're actually fixed, testing the betas.
And another thing. When is the next version going to be ready. Is there a release cycle defined.
All of this I'm saying in favor of doing this an open source software.
This will actually make it really famous and it will grow, because many people will get involved, etc...

sportember

#11 Post by sportember » 08.05.2008, 12:12

braykov wrote:Recently, I decided to stick to open source / GPL software and throw away any proprietary stuff.
It's a really interesting decision, especially on the Microsoft Windows platform 8)

braykov

#12 Post by braykov » 08.05.2008, 13:42

sportember wrote:It's a really interesting decision, especially on the Microsoft Windows platform 8)
Well, yes. Of course Windows is Windows but who said that you should continue paying for software once you got Windows.
Furthermore, most PCs/Laptops come preinstalled with Windows. Most people don't have a choice.
Me personally, I use Linux at home. But at work the corporate policy says "use Windows". Also a lot of friends ask for my help with their windows machines. I prefer to install InfraRecorder for them instead of Nero, for example.
So in that aspect I prefer sticking to open source and leaving as more proprietary software as I can out.

sportember

#13 Post by sportember » 08.05.2008, 15:40

braykov wrote:Furthermore, most PCs/Laptops come preinstalled with Windows. Most people don't have a choice.
In theory, everyone do have the choice: Windows is preinstalled, however it can be replaced, say, technically. In practice, it is rare to see someone replacing their preinstalled Windows. It seems daunting. But, technically, it can be done.

But I think I perfectly understand what you are saying, as mostly I do the same, even at home. It seems uncomfortable for me to install something that is not open in the sense that malicious things can be identified - if not by me, than by someone else. I decided to trust Microsoft, as I see their platform well designed and usable. I payed for it, so my Windows usage is backed by economic dynamics. Maybe I am right, maybe I am wrong.

There are alternatives to FreeCommander. At first: you can use no orthodox file manager at all. Explorer is pretty good at things it does, if you get used to it. At second: there are proprietary, non-free-in-any-sense applications. Economy provides some - possibly false - trust regarding them. At third, there SHOULD be an open source Commander for Windows. FreeCommander is a nice piece of work, however, Marek likes to keep it closed. So we should look for other alternatives. Politically, it would be pleasant to have one that is available on multiple platforms. It would make easier to migrate to other platforms, if someone would come up with the unlikely idea to like to do so.

braykov

#14 Post by braykov » 08.05.2008, 18:35

sportember wrote: we should look for other alternatives. Politically, it would be pleasant to have one that is available on multiple platforms. It would make easier to migrate to other platforms, if someone would come up with the unlikely idea to like to do so.
Yes, I'm currently looking at DoubleCommander. Unfortunatelly it is in early alpha release

sportember

#15 Post by sportember » 09.05.2008, 09:11

You may also check 7-Zip. It comes with a nice File Manager. It can be tweaked to have 2 panes. At some day it may be forked into a fully functional orthodox file manager.