same drawback as the windows explorer

Discussion, questions and support.
dazzz

same drawback as the windows explorer

#1 Post by dazzz » 13.11.2011, 07:10

Hi all! FC have all to be the best file manager for me (bookmarks most usable) But it have one drawback. I mean viewing folders via shell functions.
When we working with good lan connection and speedy (or not damaged) local devices its ok. But if no we have frezes, "free commander not responding" etc. In other FM user can select between speed and functionality. For example http://www.freeimagehosting.net/c84db
Will the FC have the same?

Ponderosa

Re: same drawback as the windows explorer

#2 Post by Ponderosa » 13.11.2011, 08:59

Hi!
Did you mean this.
Extras > Settings > FTP

List files in log

Greetings

dazzz

#3 Post by dazzz » 13.11.2011, 10:08

no I mean lan resourses like \\server\share.
May be my english not so good to explain so I discribe my situation.
I have lan with 500 computers. Lan cabels are long and connections is not fast. So I open free commander --> "network environment" and wait wait wait. 10 sec or more. U can say it normal. But I tested some file managers that do it in 1 second or less! (for example Snowbird - its not advert, becouse that FM less by functions))).
So, ok I can wait 20 sec (but i dont want !))))). but I want to browse some resourses at other panel. But I can't because all panels are not responding. I cant even cancel the request until Free Commander in "deep thought".
Reason for all this is deep integration with native "windows explorer". Even file copying is via explorer.
All problems of explorer we can found in FC. So I want to ask developers: will the FC use his own functions and tools for browsing lans and files?

HeiWoMa

#4 Post by HeiWoMa » 14.11.2011, 10:17

It seems that the slow response has nothing to do with your network. I have the same in a small (5 Comp.) and fast network (GB). When I give \\Server\Share in the Adressbar it also takes up to a minute until FC XE reacts. While the WindowsExplorer takes less then 1 second for the same. Only when you have mapped the Netshare to a drive letter then it works fast.
-- Regards, HeiWoMa --
Run FC on: Win10 x64 (English), Win10 x64 (German), Win7 x64 (German)

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss » 14.11.2011, 11:32

Same here: slow network response (3 PCs - XP Pro x86, XP Home x86 and win7 x64).