Network drives via VPN - only with help from WinExplorer?

Discussion, questions and support.
apman

Network drives via VPN - only with help from WinExplorer?

#1 Post by apman » 22.11.2007, 16:53

wow, great program - glad I found this!

Only one little problem: I use Cisco AnyConnect (not sure if that's relevant) to connect to some network drives via VPN. When I just use FC and click on a network drive it will ask for authentication but not accept my credentials. However, when I use Windows Explorer to connect to the drive and THEN go back to FC, FC will happily connect (so it obviously recognizes authentication verified through WinExplorer, but apparently can't do its own ...)

Does that ring a bell with anyone? is there anything I would have to configure to save myself the detour via Explorer?

Thanks

SgtSchultz

I've see this happen too

#2 Post by SgtSchultz » 25.01.2008, 06:04

The behavior you describe is consistent with my experience whenever I attempt to connect to a share that is not natively 'owned' by me. It is not a problem that is exclusive to VPN connections. Any network share that is owned by a user other than what you are logged in as will have this problem. The workaround you described - using Windows Exploerer to connect to the share first - works for me as well.

Examples of shares that cause this problem are those found on networked computers running SAMBA under a *nix environment, such as Mac OSX or Linux. I have several Mac and Linux machines on my network, and my logins for those computers in some cases do not exactly match in all respects (username, password) to my Windows machines. I use more traditional single-word usernames on my *nix boxes, and full-name (multiword) user names on my Windows computers.

I have just finished submitting a bug report that details this problem in the Bug Reports forum:

viewtopic.php?t=557

apman

same password seems to help

#3 Post by apman » 26.01.2008, 01:49

Actually it's working for me since I changed the password to match the one I'm using locally - the usernames are still different though, but it works now!

ORI0N

#4 Post by ORI0N » 26.02.2008, 07:35

I've had a bit of a trying time getting it to recognize the samba drives as well, but have finally gotten it working. Not that I access these volumes often, but a nice little walkthrough might have helped.

I guess a RTM would have helped. Thanks again :)