Tabs Question

Discussion, questions and support.
freddo

Tabs Question

#1 Post by freddo » 17.06.2010, 09:13

There is one tab that I use a lot. When I select it I also have to select the Modified Date column because this is the way I find the latest files in the directory. All the other tabs I use I want to have the contents sorted by Name. Is there anyway to have a tab remember the sorting order for that tab eg Name of Modified so I am not constantly have to click on the desired column?

granny

Re: Tabs Question

#2 Post by granny » 23.06.2010, 05:41

Currently, FC will sort all tabs in each pane in the same way.

You could try using the hotkey CTRL + F5 to sort by date, but of course it will sort all your tabs by date. Then hotkey CTRL + F3 to sort by name. (also, you can go to Extras > Keyboard Shortcuts, and set up your own custom key combinations for these.)

Your other option would be to keep that tab in the other pane, and sort one pane by name, and the other by date.

One other klunky thing you could try, but means more work and long not-very-readable filenames, is to use Multi-Rename to insert the date in front of each file name, so sort by name would also be sorting by date. Of course, you would have to rename every time you modify files, and that would be a big fat pain.

I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for.
Maybe independent sorting will be something that can happen in the future, but if you notice, even Windows Explorer tends to sort all explorer windows in the same way.
Or maybe someone else knows a work-around for FC that will do what you want.