Create new txt file error

Discussion, questions and support.
kiwichick

Create new txt file error

#1 Post by kiwichick » 28.04.2010, 06:45

Hi there, I'm using FreeCommander Portable 2009.2a.

My default txt and rtf program is CopyWriter located at C:\PortableApps\CopyWriter Portable\CopyWriter.exe.

When I try to create a CopyWriter TXT-File or CopyWriter RTF-File by right-clicking on an empty space in a folder and using the New menu I get the following error:

Template file not found: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates\CopyWriter TXT-File
C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew\\CopyWriter TXT-File
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Templates\CopyWriter TXT-File

I'm assuming there is a template missing. Can you please tell me if I can fix this and how?

Cheers.

granny

Re: Create new txt file error

#2 Post by granny » 13.05.2010, 05:40

I *think* (but not 100% positive), you only need to open CopyWriter and save an empty Text file named CopyWriter.txt, and save it to at least one of the folders listed in the error message.

I do know that my computer has some empty files in those locations.
You can try it and see, it shouldn't break anything, it just will or won't work.

A good place that can give you *reliable* information (unlike my guesses) for something like this is the How To Geek forum http://www.howtogeek.com/
And one of the moderators LH (LightHouse) is a dedicated FreeCommander user.

Incidentally, I use kPad as my rich-text and plain-text editor, and never got such a message about a template when I use the context menu to select "New >> Text document"
kPad is a lovely little editor, really tiny file size under 100kb, and does tabs. (won't take pasted images though, and has no spell-check/). I got it from the "Floppy / USB Office" package from x-tort.net.

kiwichick

Re: Create new txt file error

#3 Post by kiwichick » 16.05.2010, 02:33

Hi granny, Thanks for the reply. Yes I tried saving a blank text file in all three folders and I still get the error. I don't have this problem when I use the New menu in Explorer. Hopefully someone else might have another idea. Thanks again.