Where is "Help" file?

Discussion, questions and support.
dsperber

Where is "Help" file?

#1 Post by dsperber » 28.03.2010, 01:42

Win7 x64, installed FreeCommander sometime back and it works fine.

However when I try to view Help -> Contents I get an error message about Freecommander.chm not being found either in the program directory or in the Users\AppData\Roaming\... directory.

The web page for FC seems to say that the Help file was supposed to be contained in the ZIP file, and that after un-zipping the Help file should be copied to the program directory (after running the installer EXE, presumably, to create the program directory). However the ZIP file does NOT contain anything but the installer EXE.

So I still don't see how to get the Help file to be available.

What am I missing?

Please HELP!

matera

Re: Where is "Help" file?

#2 Post by matera » 28.03.2010, 07:05

The Help file is in a separate zip file.
Windows Vista 64-bit
Pentium E5200 Dual Core 2.5GHz

dsperber

#3 Post by dsperber » 28.03.2010, 11:09

matera wrote:The Help file is in a separate zip file.
Not to be rude, but this is no more helpful than the FreeCommander web page itself... which does not provide a download link for the Help file even though it provides instructions on what to do when you get it! The link on the page is for the program installer zip file... not for the Help zip file.

Can you please provide an actual URL link to the zip file, or an actual URL link to the specific web page on which the link to download the Help zip file is contained?

Thanks.

ralfso

#4 Post by ralfso » 28.03.2010, 11:30

Where did you search on the FreeCommander web page?
One line below the current FC-download there is the download for the help-file!

http://www.freecommander.com/fc_downl_en.htm
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

dsperber

#5 Post by dsperber » 28.03.2010, 12:13

Ok... I'm an idiot.

I saw the 2-tone blue sentences below and thought they were instructions, not that the darker item in the front of that first line was actually the link to the zip file they were describing.

Don't know why it's just not included in the installer along with the other files.

Anyway, I now have it. Many thanks for opening my eyes!

PeteM92

#6 Post by PeteM92 » 28.03.2010, 17:13

Unfortunately it seems not to be that easy. When I download the file, unzip it and open the .chm file, I only get a contents display and an index, but no content. Where is the content? I´m using Win7 64 bit and Firefox as browser.
Ok - found the solution: I had to use the HHReg-utility, it works within Win7.

(see FAQ, item "When I try to open the help file, I get the message "navigation to webpage was canceled". How can I solve this problem?" )

dsperber

#7 Post by dsperber » 28.03.2010, 18:48

PeteM92 wrote:Unfortunately it seems not to be that easy. When I download the file, unzip it and open the .chm file, I only get a contents display and an index, but no content. Where is the content? I´m using Win7 64 bit and Firefox as browser.
Why aren't you just using HELP within FreeCommander?

HELP -> Contents, from within FreeCommander itself once you copy the CHM file into the program directory.

Thorin

#8 Post by Thorin » 23.09.2010, 11:34

PeteM92 wrote:Unfortunately it seems not to be that easy. When I download the file, unzip it and open the .chm file, I only get a contents display and an index, but no content. Where is the content? I´m using Win7 64 bit and Firefox as browser.
Ok - found the solution: I had to use the HHReg-utility, it works within Win7.

(see FAQ, item "When I try to open the help file, I get the message "navigation to webpage was canceled". How can I solve this problem?" )
I had the same problem with Vista and Firefox. Works fine now after using the HHReg-utility. Thanks a lot for pointing this out. :)

dsperber

#9 Post by dsperber » 23.09.2010, 21:25

Thorin wrote:I had the same problem with Vista and Firefox. Works fine now after using the HHReg-utility. Thanks a lot for pointing this out. :)
As I described in my earlier reply, all that is required is to simply copy the FreeCommander.CHM file to the c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander program directory. I don't know why the installer for the program doesn't just always do that, but you can certainly do it yourself.

Once that is done, now the HELP function within the FreeCommander program itself DOES work perfectly, just like it should:

Help -> Contents -> BINGO

No HHReg-utility or any other trickery or workaround gimmick is required. Just copy the FreeCommander.CHM file to the program directory and the HELP problem is solved.

The CHM file is not meant to be opened separately, by itself. It IS the actual HELP text which gets opened by the Help -> Contents function within FreeCommander, using HELP from the Menu bar of the program itself.

ralfso

#10 Post by ralfso » 24.09.2010, 06:29

dsperber wrote:No HHReg-utility or any other trickery or workaround gimmick is required. Just copy the FreeCommander.CHM file to the program directory and the HELP problem is solved.
This is your solution for your operating system! The Help file for FC is written in old CHM-format, which is ok til Windows XP. Vista an Windows 7 doesn't support this old help-format with some security problems. In this case you need to make some registry-corrections e.g. with the HHReg-utility.

Look at:
http://www.freecommander.com/fc_faq_en.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896054/
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

dsperber

#11 Post by dsperber » 24.09.2010, 12:26

Well, I'll simply say this...

I am running Win7 Pro x64, and Help -> Contents works perfectly for me with FreeCommander once I copied the CHM file to the program directory. I haven't actually tested this out on my WinXP Pro x86 system, but I'd be surprised if it didn't work perfectly there as well.

I don't know what your OS environment is, or why you should need any registry hacks to get this to work. Maybe you have "security" set a certain way that differs from mine, or maybe it's what you did differently than I did when you installed the program, or maybe there's some other explanation that currently is not obvious to either of us.

All I can say is that I did NOT use HHReg or any other tricks. I simply copied the CHM file to the installed program directory and it works perfectly for me.

Win7 Pro x64.

EDIT: well, now that I've looked at the FAQ you pointed to, I have some deja vu recollection about "unblock" at some point. The FAQ says it applies to WinXP, but I haven't run WinXP as my normal environment since last December. I can't find a similar "unblock" option on Properties for the CHM file under Win7, but I do have some vague memory regarding "unblock" at some time in the past. I also do not have HHReg even downloaded onto my machine, so it certainly couldn't have been that method which I used to get this working... if indeed I had that problem. Perhaps it was under WinXP, when I installed it in that environment earlier this year.

Jimus

#12 Post by Jimus » 17.11.2011, 19:01

[quote="dsperber"]Well, I'll simply say this...

I am running Win7 Pro x64, and Help -> Contents works perfectly for me with FreeCommander once I copied the CHM file to the program directory. I haven't actually tested this out on my WinXP Pro x86 system, but I'd be surprised if it didn't work perfectly there as well.

dsperber: After you download the zip-file for the FreeCommander.chm, right-click on the zip-file name and look at the "properties." You might have a button for [Unlock]. If so, click the [Unlock] button BEFORE you extract the chm-file. With the zip-file security unlocked, you can extract the chm-file and copy it to the FreeCommander install folder. Then in FreeCommander | Help | Contents you should see all of the Help file's contents normally. jimus