Is FTP fully functional in 2009.02a?

Discussion, questions and support.
Wiley

Is FTP fully functional in 2009.02a?

#1 Post by Wiley » 16.02.2010, 22:42

FTP is offered in the Drive selection drop-down, but nothing happens to indicate that a client is available to use. What am I missing or doing wrong?

FYI...
I can start an external FTP client (FileZilla) and connect without a problem. However, I much prefer having the integrated FreeCommander client...if it really is available.

Thanks.

Ice

Re: Is FTP fully functional in 2009.02a?

#2 Post by Ice » 17.02.2010, 09:21

FTP client works fine for me.
do the following:
STEP 1: Choose ftp drive from the toolbar
STEP 2: Double Click on New FTP Connection file (that is viewed under ftp drive)
a new window will popup, there you can configure all the ftp client parameters.
I uploaded screen-dumps on:
http://rapidshare.com/files/351773408/FC2009_ftp.zip

hope it can help you.
Regards

Wiley

#3 Post by Wiley » 17.02.2010, 16:21

Ice wrote:FTP client works fine for me.
do the following:
STEP 1: Choose ftp drive from the toolbar
STEP 2: Double Click on New FTP Connection file (that is viewed under ftp drive)
a new window will popup, there you can configure all the ftp client parameters.
I uploaded screen-dumps on:
http://rapidshare.com/files/351773408/FC2009_ftp.zip

hope it can help you.
Regards
***** UPDATE ! *****
It appears that my testing, as below, has toggled something in FC. The ability to access the FTP functionality is now restored when I click on the drop-down combo-box. I'll have to see if the fix is permanent, but for now...I'm good to go.

Ice,

Thanks for the reply.

So, I think I have determined that the FC 2009.02a version has a bug that can be replicated.

If you get a chance, would you mind checking to see if you get the same results with this setting:

1. Go to Extras | Settings
2. Go to View | Drives
3. On the right side, select Show | as Combo Box
4. Click OK

The view of the drives is now changed to a drop-down combo box (which I like better than having the drives spread over the drive bar).

5. Click the drive drop-down and click FTP

At this point, nothing happens for me. It appears that the click on "FTP" is ignored.

Now, go back to Extras | Settings; then View | Drives; then Show | as Bar; then OK. Select "FTP" again...and the functionality should magically become available again.

I'd really appreciate finding out if you (or anyone!) gets the same results before I enter a bug report.

Thanks.

clanman

#4 Post by clanman » 17.02.2010, 23:44

Wiley wrote:
Ice wrote:1. Go to Extras | Settings
2. Go to View | Drives
3. On the right side, select Show | as Combo Box
4. Click OK

The view of the drives is now changed to a drop-down combo box (which I like better than having the drives spread over the drive bar).

5. Click the drive drop-down and click FTP

At this point, nothing happens for me. It appears that the click on "FTP" is ignored.

Now, go back to Extras | Settings; then View | Drives; then Show | as Bar; then OK. Select "FTP" again...and the functionality should magically become available again.
I have just completed this test and found no such problem. I did note however that you do loose access to network connections (1 - probably why I don't use the dropdown mode).

Can I suggest you rename your freecommander.ini file then try again. This file changes location dependant on what you have Settings->Start Program->Config file set to.
Regards

Clanman
Using FreeCommander XE 2022 Build 860 32-bit public on Windows 11

Wiley

#5 Post by Wiley » 18.02.2010, 01:15

Well, it WAS too good to be true.

At this point, I'm convinced that there is a bug in 2009.02A.

When the drive bar is set to use a drop-down combo-box, it does not consistently display the FTP client connections. The effect that I've noted is that the selection of the FTP client is actually performed, but the view of the connections is not visible until I select Extras | Settings ... Show | as bar.

Hopefully, others will try testing for this behavior...before I officially submit a bug report.

In response to clanman: Renaming freecommander.ini had no effect. Nothing changed that I noted.

Thanks.

Ice

#6 Post by Ice » 18.02.2010, 03:54

Hi Wiley,
I tested your test case with the drop down list of ftp drive, and it works as it should (at least for me).
Lets focus to drop down list, since it is the main complain, so lets forget about ftp drive in tool-bar thing for the moment.
I noticed the following:
1 - So when you first time connect to ftp with drop-down, and view your directories/files every thing is OK.
2 - Now you choose to use the drop down to change to any other drive (C:\ , D:\ , etc.)
3 - NOTICE: The ftp connection if still active,, actually when you change to C:\ from ftp:\\ the connection
to the ftp server is not closed.
4 - To QUIT the ftp connection (before ftp server timeout) you drop-down to ftp, and do a "Back-space" on the keyboard, or directory up from the ftp root.
5 - Now when you drop down to ftp again, you will have the ftp connection file again, and can set new ftp clients.

# maybe the behavior of FC could be adjusted as if you change to another drive when you established ftp connection, the connection should be terminated automatically#

Using, XP SP3, UK.

Wiley

#7 Post by Wiley » 18.02.2010, 19:01

Ice wrote:Hi Wiley,
I tested your test case with the drop down list of ftp drive, and it works as it should (at least for me).
Thanks Ice, but would you try this...?

Set the drive toolbar to "Show | as Combo Box".

I like to have the Tree (Alt+T) visible next to my file panes. Try setting that, select any drive, then select the FTP client. It doesn't work for me, as the focus remains on the drive. If I close the Tree, select a drive, then the FTP client, it works as you would expect.

If the drive toolbar is set to "Show | as Bar", the access to the FTP client works perfectly with the Tree pane enabled.

After discovering this behavior, I see that this has been the cause of the problem from the beginning.

There is no reason the "as Bar" and "as Combo Box" functionality should not be identical. I guess it was a coding oversight and does qualify as a bug.

Ice

#8 Post by Ice » 19.02.2010, 04:31

Hi Wiley,
With the new test case you described, indeed the behavior is not the same for ftp client with COMBO BOX and as BAR with TREE enabled.
The difference is that when choosing ftp from COMBO-BOX, it is not disabling the TREE view, while ftp As BAR is disabling the TREE view, and that what make it works in my opinion.

So I guess it is a BUG, since both methods should have equal behavior.

If you choose to report it, would be good idea to point to this thread, so the developers have a complete idea of what we did here.

Still, FC is my favorite file manager :D .
Cheers,

Wiley

#9 Post by Wiley » 19.02.2010, 06:39

Ice wrote:So I guess it is a BUG, since both methods should have equal behavior.

If you choose to report it, would be good idea to point to this thread, so the developers have a complete idea of what we did here.
Ice,

Thanks for the additional testing and corroboration. I'll write up a bug report and point back to this thread.

Cheers.

Ice

#10 Post by Ice » 19.02.2010, 09:56

Wiley,
A pleasure working with you on this case, and good observation from you.

Cheers,

srunderwood

#11 Post by srunderwood » 28.12.2011, 14:32

I know this is an old topic, but I am also having FTP trouble in FCXE. I've found how to display the FTP as a drive (in settings) but pressing it does nothing. Double clicking it takes me to Desktop. Also, the setting to show FTP as a drive is not saved when I exit and reload FCXE. This is similar behaviour as I had with not saving links to plugins, that magically fixed itself a couple of days ago. I am still waiting for some FTP magic though.

Until I can get that magic I'm afraid I have to go to Filezilla.