How to display native Windows Explorer context menu?

Discussion, questions and support.
mloskot

How to display native Windows Explorer context menu?

#1 Post by mloskot » 27.01.2010, 10:46

Hi,

This is my first post here.
First, I want to say big thanks for the FreeCommander software.
I found it yesterday and it's the best freeware file explorer for Windows!

I have first question which I didn't find answered in the archives:

When I right-click on a file or folder, is it possible to display context menu as it is displayed in Windows Explorer natively?

As I see, FC displays modified context menu and it does not give access to custom tools installed in a system.
For instance, I have TortoiseSVN installed and it is not accessible from FC context menu for currently selected folder or file.

IMO, it's important feature to make FC behaving as natively as possible.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot
Mateusz Loskot
Windows Vista 64-bit

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: How to display native Windows Explorer context menu?

#2 Post by Dreamer » 27.01.2010, 20:51

I don't think it's possible. It looks the problem is a 64-bit OS. You could try to install 32-bit version of the program.

mloskot

#3 Post by mloskot » 28.01.2010, 11:59

I'm confused. How the context menu feature may depend on target architecture of system?

There is only one binary image provided to download. It is, only 32-bit is provided and I run this 32-bit version on 64-bit Windows Vista.

I hardly see how the 32 vs 64 bit issue applies.

By the way, menu options of TortoiseGit client I have also installed are displayed for every folder. Here is screenshot

Mateusz Loskot
Windows Vista 64-bit

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 29.01.2010, 00:30

I'm not an expert, it was just an idea, but there are shell extensions (programs working in context menu) for 32 and 64 bit OSs.

Of course, option to show native Win context menu is another solution, but I'm not sure is this is possible either, 64 bit OS vs 32 bit FC.

mloskot

#5 Post by mloskot » 29.01.2010, 10:22

Now I understand what you mean.

Perhaps Marek could judge feasibility of this feature as he digs the code.

Another solution is to add svn client to extras and assign shortcuts to fire up some commands like svn update, commit, diff.
Mateusz Loskot
Windows Vista 64-bit

jonas

#6 Post by jonas » 02.02.2010, 16:10

Hey guys,

I've got the same issue with another tool: 7-Zip on a 64 bit Windows 7. 7-Zip comes as 32 bit or 64 bit version.

Running a 64 bit OS, I installed that 64 bit Version. -> Context menu entry of 7-Zip is only displayed in 64 bit applications. As freeCommander is 32 bit, it does not display the 7-Zip context menu entry. Windows explorer context menu entries display that missing context menu entry just as it should.

The same goes for TortoiseSVN/-Git. Somewhere on the TortoiseSVN webpage, they say that you can easily (and have to) install both versions (32 bit AND 64) in parallel on the same system in order to have context menu entries in 32 bit applications as well.

So a possible solution could either be to have a 64 bit version of freeCommander (which is probably not that easy) or maybe force 64 bit context menu entries in 32 bit freeCommander? I'm not sure if the latter is possible - I'm not aware of how the context menu entries are actually created. If there is some sort of callback registrered by the extension DLL, it may be impossible to include 64 bit extensions there (as calling 64 bit routines from a 32 bit emulated context is some sort of ... weird... :twisted: ).

However, with increasing distribution of 64 bit Windows installations there will we an increasing number of 64 bit-capable context menu applications and thus there should be a solution to this issue... And the solution should not be that users are required to install both the 32 bit and the 64bit context menu extension/application in order to have its context menus available in 32bit client applications.. :(

Regards,
Jonas

ralfso

#7 Post by ralfso » 02.02.2010, 17:39

jonas wrote: And the solution should not be that users are required to install both the 32 bit and the 64bit context menu extension/application in order to have its context menus available in 32bit client applications..
You know that FreeCommander is Freeware?

And that much more people are waiting for a completely redesigned version of FreeCommander than for a 64-bit context menu?

The problem is that a 64-bit FreeCommander is depending on a 64-bit Delphi and AFAIK there is no 64-bit Delphi at the moment.

Windows 7 had a marquet share on about 5.7% at the end of january (I think mostly 64-bit).
This will grow at the next time, but I think the majority will stay 32-bit until the next 2 years.

So let's wait for a new FC-version some time this year, use the possible 32-bit work arounds, and look for a 64-bit FC after that.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

jonas

#8 Post by jonas » 02.02.2010, 21:59

ralfso wrote:You know that FreeCommander is Freeware?
Yes, of course and I'm thankful for the fact that it is freeware. I like it and use it every day. That's why I'm actually posting here and thinking about solutions. Long story short: I'm sorry if you got me wrong.
I'm not asking anyone to implement my suggested solution within the next 2 days. I'm a software developer myself so I know exactly that things are often not as easy as they seem to be when it comes to details.
ralfso wrote:Windows 7 had a marquet share on about 5.7% at the end of january (I think mostly 64-bit).
This will grow at the next time, but I think the majority will stay 32-bit until the next 2 years.
On the other hand, I disagree with you when it comes to the market share of 64 bit systems. Almost every pc/mac being sold nowadays has 4 gb of RAM or even more(despite some low budget machines). That is, the magic border is crossed, it makes sense to use 64 bit systems in production environments. And there will be more and more users asking for that. -> It makes sense to - at least - think about those issues right now, not in 2 years.
Just giving you an example: we use a Cisco VPN. Thats fine and all, but there is NO 64 bit version. Lots of users are just knocked out of the internal networks. Of course, the Cisco VPN server and client is not freeware, but those guys at Cisco are just too late. If there would be any feasible alternative (and not too expensive) we would have already said goodbye to the Cisco VPN.
ralfso wrote:The problem is that a 64-bit FreeCommander is depending on a 64-bit Delphi and AFAIK there is no 64-bit Delphi at the moment.

That is another major problem. :) Btw, are there any plans for a 64 bit Delphi?

ralfso wrote:And that much more people are waiting for a completely redesigned version of FreeCommander than for a 64-bit context menu?
So let's wait for a new FC-version some time this year, use the possible 32-bit work arounds, and look for a 64-bit FC after that.
Just referring to my first sentences. I'm suggesting solutions, not asking for them to be implemented ASAP. :)

Cheers,
Jonas

mloskot

#9 Post by mloskot » 03.02.2010, 00:09

ralfso wrote:
jonas wrote: And the solution should not be that users are required to install both the 32 bit and the 64bit context menu extension/application in order to have its context menus available in 32bit client applications..
You know that FreeCommander is Freeware?
It's irrelevant comment. There is a software, software released as a freeware, software which is usable and there is dedicated discussion forum. Questions should be expected, even about least important features.
ralfso wrote:
jonas wrote:And that much more people are waiting for a completely redesigned version of FreeCommander than for a 64-bit context menu?
The problem is that a 64-bit FreeCommander is depending on a 64-bit Delphi and AFAIK there is no 64-bit Delphi at the moment.
This is the answer that clarifies the situation. Thanks!
ralfso wrote:
jonas wrote:Windows 7 had a marquet share on about 5.7% at the end of january (I think mostly 64-bit).
Another comment irrelevant to the original discussion. It's your own subjective opinion. I feel privileged to express my own opinion: I don't agree.

Regarding market share surveys, Steam Hardware Survey from January 2010: Windows 64-bit OS shares ~30%:
  • Windows 7 64 bit 19.50%
  • Windows Vista 64 bit 8.82%
  • Windows XP 64 bit 0.63%
  • Windows 2003 64 bit 0.57%
However, IMHO, even these numbers are irrelevant here - I doubt Marek, the author of FC, follows the market arranging his development roadmap.
ralfso wrote:So let's wait for a new FC-version some time this year, use the possible 32-bit work arounds, and look for a 64-bit FC after that.
Sure, no problem.
Mateusz Loskot
Windows Vista 64-bit

ralfso

#10 Post by ralfso » 03.02.2010, 13:07

If you read the forum for years, some topics are discussed 50 times and answered 40 times and nobody of the new members seem to find the "search"-button or to read older postings.

If you'll become a little bit older member, you'll perhaps also get a roll-eye-effect on some postings.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

MilesAhead

#11 Post by MilesAhead » 10.02.2010, 23:20

Since those on this thread are aware of the 64 bit vs. 32 bit context menu question, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the 32 bit context menu on Windows 7 64 bit retail comes through in FreeCommander?

I have Vista64 and I know it works there, but I'm seeing stuff that Microsoft has killed it's own work-around for 32 bit shell extensions. On Vista64 you can just open a 32 bit shell by using C:\Windows\SysWow64\explorer.exe and in that explorer window, 32 bit shell extensions will work(at least most of them.)

Now, I'm told that if you try to open a folder lets say, by passing it to the C:\Windows\SysWow64\explorer.exe you won't get a 32 bit shell. They are saying the 32 bit shell opens the 64 bit shell, then quits.

Anyway, that's why I'm asking since I use that little work-around. The short question is, in Windows 7 64 bit retail(I say retail because it's my understanding the work-around still functioned in the W7 64 bit beta,) do you see the 32 bit shell extensions inside FreeCommander or not? (I don't have W7 64 bit to try it myself, just Vista64.)

At this point I think it's hopeless to fix my work-around utility(just a hotkey that opens the SysWow64 explorer instead of the 64 bit one to open selected folders and use the 32 bit shell extensions) but I'm curious why they did this and how it works. I'm guessing people are complaining that files deleted in the 32 bit shell are still being locked by the 64 bit shell(if I had to take a wild guess.)

If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate a heads-up or you can PM me to avoid hijacking the thread or whatever.
"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"

jonas

#12 Post by jonas » 10.02.2010, 23:42

MilesAhead wrote:The short question is, in Windows 7 64 bit retail(I say retail because it's my understanding the work-around still functioned in the W7 64 bit beta,) do you see the 32 bit shell extensions inside FreeCommander or not?
Short answer: YES. 32bit shell extensions are displayed correctly (at least I haven't encountered any counter-example, yet).

MilesAhead

#13 Post by MilesAhead » 11.02.2010, 20:25

jonas wrote:
MilesAhead wrote:The short question is, in Windows 7 64 bit retail(I say retail because it's my understanding the work-around still functioned in the W7 64 bit beta,) do you see the 32 bit shell extensions inside FreeCommander or not?
Short answer: YES. 32bit shell extensions are displayed correctly (at least I haven't encountered any counter-example, yet).
Thank you for the info. If anyone is curious, since shell extension behavior cuts across all applications, I'm getting reports that the work-around either works perfectly or not at all. I suspect it's either a build issue or an update that is replacing the 32 bit explorer in SysWow64 with one that just reflects the command line it receives into the 64 bit explorer. It could be one of those things where it works on your system, you apply a fix, then it's gone.

Apparently using a 32 bit file manager is the only way to guarantee access to 32 bit shell extensions in W7 64 bit.
"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"

udaman

#14 Post by udaman » 21.07.2010, 00:47

Bump. I want to follow up the progress on this.

ddexxters75

#15 Post by ddexxters75 » 22.07.2010, 05:02

I don't think it's possible. It looks the problem is a 64-bit OS. You could try to install 32-bit version of the program.