Can I associate folders to open with FreeCommander?

Discussion, questions and support.
wadja0

Can I associate folders to open with FreeCommander?

#1 Post by wadja0 » 12.01.2010, 23:40

Hi. I was wondering if it was possible to change the default exlorer on Windows XP and/or Vista? What I mean is, can FreeCommander somehow, anyhow be set to automatically run and open a folder after it's double-clicked? I've been using FreeCommander for quite some time and just love all it's features (for me, batch renaming and tabbed browsing are the best :D )! I would love it if it could be set to automatically open, lets say, Documents folder on Desktop after being double-clicked when not in FreeCommander.

I know how to make file associations to connect different file types with different programs, but unfortunately I don't see any option to do the same with folders. Please help me if you can, and no, I am not making a feature request (although, some of you out there might be interested in this as well...).

Thanks in advance. Regards,
Wadja0

tincanman2010

Re: Can I associate folders to open with FreeCommander?

#2 Post by tincanman2010 » 13.01.2010, 10:51

wadja0 wrote:Hi. I was wondering if it was possible to change the default exlorer on Windows XP and/or Vista?
Hi I'm new here so won't give you advice. I did find out somewhere here how to do this (but can't remember where) and did it on mine and it works great. It involves creating a file and pasting in what they tell you, which edits your registry. Works a treat so poke around.(I'd link it if I remembered which post it was in)

wadja0

Got it working! :D

#3 Post by wadja0 » 13.01.2010, 11:40

Ok. So, I managed to do this (on a Windows XP machine). I didn't mess around with the registry, but instead I did the following:

1) Created a New Folder on Desktop, and opened it (with Windows Explorer, double-clicking it) [note: you don't need to create a New Folder, it's just what I did...]

2) Went on Tools > Folder Options > File Types

3) Selected "Folder" (note: not the "File Folder"), and went on "Advanced"

4) "New"

5) In "Action:" field I wrote "Open with FreeCommander" (actually, I put "SeeForFree", but the first one is what I would recommend for others to use).

6) In "Application used to perform this task:" I went on "Browse..." and navigated to freecommander.exe > "Open"

7) Press "Ok". Then, I selected my newly created option and went on "Set Default" button.

8) After that, it's just "Ok" > "Ok", and that's it! :D

Now, after I double-click on a folder, it opens in FreeCommander :D And if I want to open it with the good old "Windows Explorer" (not really good, but it is old :P), I just right-click on a folder and click either "Open" or "Explore"...

I hope somebody finds this post useful. Thank you tincanman2010 for responding.
Regards,
Wadja0

tincanman2010

Re: Got it working! :D

#4 Post by tincanman2010 » 13.01.2010, 12:19

wadja0 wrote:Ok. So, I managed to do this (on a Windows XP machine).
I saw this elsewhere and tried to follow it step by step, but there's no File Type' under folder options in Vista. If anyone's done this but in Vista, I'd love to know how.

Now to figure out how to display bit rates, song title etc and this thing wil be perfecto!

wadja0

Associations on Vista

#5 Post by wadja0 » 13.01.2010, 15:14

Hi. About the Vista, I can't currently get access to a Vista running machine. I know that "File associations" option was moved from Windows Explorer into the Control Panel on Vista. But I am unsure on how to set a program as default "explorer".

I think it's somewhere in the "Control Panel" > "Programs" > "Default Programs' > 'Set file associations" or similar (and there you look for a folder??? to associate it?), or in "Programs and Features" or something like that...

Could you please check if there is something similar to that example from Windows XP there? They couldn't have dropped support for that function, so it must have been simply moved...

Thanks. Regards,
Wadja0

tincanman2010

Re: Associations on Vista

#6 Post by tincanman2010 » 13.01.2010, 18:06

Yes, there is a file associations control panel. I have it open in front of me, and it is a list of file extensions which you can assign a program to handle it. What extension would folder be, I don't know.

There is also Windows Explorer properties you can access through Accessories, where you can set the default folder/drive etc.

Nothing jumps out though. If I find something I'll report back. Someone somewhere has done this.

wadja0

Success (I think...)

#7 Post by wadja0 » 19.01.2010, 22:53

Hi. I've been able to confirm the theory of how it's done, but still haven't been able to test it out on Windows Vista. This way with tingling with the registry was suggested to me (read: told to me) by "dboki89" from PortableApps.com...

Anyway, this should be the way to associate FreeCommander to open a folder on double-click:

1) Make a text file

2) You should write ten lines of text in there. The file would look like:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell]
@="FreeCommander"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\FreeCommander]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\FreeCommander\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\FreeCommander\\FreeCommander.exe \"%1\""

Please note the following things before someone tries this:
- in line 9, you should put the address of where FreeCommander is installed ON YOUR SYSTEM! This is the default path, your version of FreeCommander should be located here if you haven't changed the options during the installation... For restoring to default, see the end of this post.
- if you are giving your custom path, then note that the folder separator in this case is "\\", not just one "\"
- lines 2, 5, 7 and 10 MUST BE BLANK!

3) Save the text file and exit from it. Change the extension from .txt into .reg (if you don't know how to do it and what this is, just Google for it on the internet and you'll find how, it's easy).

4) Now double-click on it, then "Yes", then "Ok" and that's it!

How to restore to default:
Repeat "Steps" 1 to 4, but in "Step 2" the text should be of 5 lines:

@="open"

Note: the ending line of this file should also be blank

I hope this helps someone, and I would like if you, tincanman2010, can confirm if this is working on Vista (it should work, but nevertheless...).
Regards :D

tincanman2010

Re: Success (I think...)

#8 Post by tincanman2010 » 20.01.2010, 08:13

wadja0 wrote:Hi. I've been able to confirm the theory of how it's done, but still haven't been able to test it out on Windows Vista. This way with tingling with the registry was suggested to me (read: told to me) by "dboki89" from PortableApps.com...

Anyway, this should be the way to associate FreeCommander to open a folder on double-click:

1) Make a text file

2) You should write ten lines of text in there. The file would look like:

@="FreeCommander"

@="C:\\Program Files\\FreeCommander\\FreeCommander.exe \"%1\""

Please note the following things before someone tries this:
- in line 9, you should put the address of where FreeCommander is installed ON YOUR SYSTEM! This is the default path, your version of FreeCommander should be located here if you haven't changed the options during the installation... For restoring to default, see the end of this post.
- if you are giving your custom path, then note that the folder separator in this case is "\\", not just one "\"
- lines 2, 5, 7 and 10 MUST BE BLANK!

3) Save the text file and exit from it. Change the extension from .txt into .reg (if you don't know how to do it and what this is, just Google for it on the internet and you'll find how, it's easy).

4) Now double-click on it, then "Yes", then "Ok" and that's it!

How to restore to default:
Repeat "Steps" 1 to 4, but in "Step 2" the text should be of 5 lines:

@="open"

Note: the ending line of this file should also be blank

I hope this helps someone, and I would like if you, tincanman2010, can confirm if this is working on Vista (it should work, but nevertheless...).
Regards :D
I have tested a slightly different version which does work. Same procedure exactly but contents of txt/reg file is:

----------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="FreeCommander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\FreeCommander]
@="FreeCommander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\FreeCommander\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\FreeCommander\\FreeCommander.exe\" /C /L=\"%1\""

-------------------
(The L in the last line tells the directory to open in the Left panel)
---------
To undo the above, use this txt/reg:

-------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@=""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\FreeCommander]

----------
NOTE: Once either file is .reg, I simply double click it and and PC does the rest.

Hope this helps.
(Note, I decided not to default freecommander like this because the directory view does not show the attributes of my MP3 files (title, bit rate etc) or photos, which is my primary need for it.)
Comments/questions welcome

Sail_Berlin

Re: Can I associate folders to open with FreeCommander?

#9 Post by Sail_Berlin » 07.05.2014, 09:05

I have tried the change to the Registry and it works perfectly.
The only adaption you have to make when you use FreeCommander XE are the following changes for the reg - file regarding a.) the path in your system and b.) the changed programme name :

@="FreeCommander"

@="C:\\Programme\\FreeCommander XE\\FreeCommander.exe \"%1\""

Do not forget the blank lines as described !!!