Copying file from 7-zip to FC causes high CPU usage.

Discussion, questions and support.
km

Copying file from 7-zip to FC causes high CPU usage.

#1 Post by km » 31.12.2009, 00:04

Hi,

Thanks for a great product!

I am not quite sure if this is a bug so I am submitting it in the General Discussion forum.

I have FC 2009.02a. When I uncompress a file in 7-zip and try to do drag it to FC, the FC window flickers and there is high CPU usage. This does not happen when I copy the same file(s) to explorer or CubicExplorer.

I have FC open with the default 2 panels. I right click on a .zip file and choose 7-zip and choose Open archive. When the archive is opened, I drag the file I see there into the right panel of FC. (I have not tried dragging it to the left panel.) The file is unzipped and then the box with green progressing dots that indicates copying progress pops up and then both FC and the 'copying' message box both flicker continuously. CPU usage goes up inordinately (97%) and stays high - over 80%. This goes on to the point that the computer becomes almost unusable. Windows Task Manager shows FC is 'running' not in 'not responding'. I haven't measured the time taken to copy the file, but it is inordinately long - several minutes for a 75 MB file. It takes so long that I eventually end up killing the FC process from Task Manager.

I have a browser (either chrome or FF) up but no other programs.

My setup:

Windows XP with SP2
512 MB RAM
Athlon 2400+

If you need any other information please let me know. Or if you want me to submit this under bugs please let me know.

Thanks

matera

#2 Post by matera » 31.12.2009, 05:47

it must be related to your system, maybe something you have running in the background (what antivirus?). 512MB of RAM is on the minimal side for XP, but it shouldn't choke on a decompression that easily. I just tried it a couple of times, one file was around 76MB, no sign of any slowdown.

Let's hear from some other XP users :)
Windows Vista 64-bit
Pentium E5200 Dual Core 2.5GHz

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss » 31.12.2009, 08:16

Could not replicate that behavior.
It must be your system at fault here.