The Categories Function in 2007.10

Discussion, questions and support.
FreewareFan

The Categories Function in 2007.10

#1 Post by FreewareFan » 30.10.2007, 10:56

Hello.

FC is absolutely the BEST file manager out there, free or otherwise!

I very much like the new Favorite Tools toolbar. I have a question about the new Categories that is in the Favorite Tools editor.

I have tried every way I can think of to make a category, or use a category that is already configured, but I don't seem to be able to figure this feature out.

Would anyone care to help me understand how to use the Categories function?

Thanks much!
FreewareFan

FreewareFan

#2 Post by FreewareFan » 30.10.2007, 11:33

UPDATE:

OK, I finally figured out how to show some Categories out on the Favorite Tools toolbar. I had to go into the .ini file, and define some categories. After I did that, then some icons showed up on the toolbar, that were pulldown icons.

Now my problem is that all those category icons on the toolbar look the same. Is it possible, at this point, to change what those category icons look like on the Favorite Tools toolbar?

In other words, I would like to have a different icon for each category on the toolbar.

Thanks.
FreewareFan

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 30.10.2007, 19:25

Hello,

no need to edit the ini file. Check the FC Help (F1) > Special functions > Favorite tools.

Category icon is missing there, but it's possible. Select the category, then click the "sub-button" at the "Add to list" button ( [v] ) and select "Category icon", then click the blue [v] button next to Icon - File and select "Seek icon file...".

FreewareFan

#4 Post by FreewareFan » 30.10.2007, 21:38

Dreamer wrote:Hello,

no need to edit the ini file. Check the FC Help (F1) > Special functions > Favorite tools.
Thank you for your reply. However, that section of my help file makes absolutely no mention of categories. I even downloaded the newest version of the help file from the downloads section, Online help for Version 2005.09, and it makes no reference to categories at all. What version of the help file are you referring to?

Category icon is missing there, but it's possible. Select the category, then click the "sub-button" at the "Add to list" button ( [v] ) and select "Category icon", then click the blue [v] button next to Icon - File and select "Seek icon file...".
Ah, that did the trick!! My problem is that on my computer, the "sub-button" at the "Add to list" button is not showing! But because of your directions, I clicked where that [v] mark should be, and indeed it did drop down with that option. Very simple, once I knew that there was supposed to be a mark there. See the screenshot...

Thank you VERY much for your help in this matter! And if you could direct me to a more recent version of the help file, that would be great!
FreewareFan

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 31.10.2007, 00:56

FreewareFan wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Hello,

Thank you for your reply. However, that section of my help file makes absolutely no mention of categories. I even downloaded the newest version of the help file from the downloads section, Online help for Version 2005.09, and it makes no reference to categories at all. What version of the help file are you referring to?
Sorry, it's not there, indeed. However you really don't need to edit ini.

You need to click at the Categories pane - white field and then click the "Add to list..." button (first on your screenshot). It's a bit confusing, I know, it was also for me at the beginning.

matera

#6 Post by matera » 31.10.2007, 03:08

Hmm...you had me confused for a few minutes there, but I figured out what was what.