Slow opening from Favorite Toolbar on Windows 10 [RESOLVED]

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
Forez

Slow opening from Favorite Toolbar on Windows 10 [RESOLVED]

#1 Post by Forez » 18.07.2019, 20:19

Since I moved to Windows 10 from Windows 7 x64 to 10 x64, my FC has a problem with shortcuts on Favorite Toolbars. Every folder that I open through an icon placed there takes up to a second to show up. And the very same folder chosen in form of an already existing Tab shows up immediately. This is plain ridiculous, as I can open FC, switch to a tab that has an empty folder X on an SSD drive and see its content the moment I clicked the Tab. But when I click an icon leading to that same folder on a Favorite Toolbar- the system's hourglass appears and I have to wait sometimes something like half a second, sometimes a full second. Also opening / navigating in Windows Explorer comes with no delays

An apparently it is also not only folders that have a delay. Also software starts to open [like showing a its splash screen] slower, although the delay is something like 1/4 of a second

FreeCommander XE 2018 Build 770 32-bit public
Last edited by Forez on 15.07.2023, 13:13, edited 2 times in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Slow opening from Favorite Toolbar on Windows 10

#2 Post by Dreamer » 18.07.2019, 23:14

How many favorite items do you have? Are you using custom icons? Favorites are slow, I had a huge delay 30+ seconds with hundreds of items.

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 20.07.2019, 11:25

I have around 50 icons on 4 toolbars. 15 are the exact repetition [i.e. 30, half for left and the other half for right Panel]. Around 10 more are hidden in as sub-menus

So I removed left all but 10 basic ones for software [and also removed excess of opened Tabs] and added just one new for a folder- and it worked. In that this folder opens now instantly. As for software shortcuts- they still has a minimal delay. In that if I open something as ordinary as an TXT file and quickly press CTRL+F, the Search option will appear for the FreeCommander and not for the Notepad

The problem is that I had no such problem on Windows 7; with 60 icons.

I could click TXT icon and CTRL + F as quick as I wanted. I could click and icon leading to a folder containing 2000+ sub-folders and begin right away typing the name of the folder so that FC would navigate to [at least the area of] a desired folder- but now before FC gets to that point I am half way in writing down the filename [and so I have to start all over typing or prior to that wait for the sub-folders to actually show up]. And what makes no sense is this: it seems that if I open 2-3 such big folders from the icon [at least one after another], the yet another instance of it loads up quicker and so I can start typing the name of the folder right away and end up having focus on it [because this time FC will start receiving letters with no delay]. And also this does not make sense: sometimes I can see that [when after opening just once such folder] FC did receive the first letter of what I as typing for a quick navigation- but then it completely stopped [as I am left with the first letter of the folder I was going for]

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 20.07.2019, 13:12

I'm not sure if it was OK for me when I used Win 7, but I can confirm another FC behavior, when I had hundreds of items in the favorites bar, just about 10 as buttons, rest as sub-menu items, when I used the favorite tools button to show the menu with the favorite items, I had that 30+ seconds delay, i had it only the first time, second time it was always instant - there was a delay after the FC restart too, but only after some time, hours.

I still have the backup with many favorite tools items, so I'm testing again...

- first start with many favs - takes 30+ seconds, fav. tools menu is instant
- restart after few minutes - start is fast, fav. menu is instant

I will be testing more and I'll add more info later, I think this issue should be fixed, if possible, because freezing is really annoying issue. If it's impossible to fix it, perhaps there should be a limit for the favorite tools number, but it's not a real solution, just to prevent huge freezing.

Anyway, with the new info - that it works good with Win 7 and it's a problem with Win 10, perhaps it could be fixed.

I had to remove my favorite tools items and I created shortcuts in a folder, then locked the tab, so I have the access to the "favorites" using that locked tab, it's a good workaround, but still just a workaround, however, it works instantly, but - loading the icons takes some time, so perhaps FC or Windows is trying to load all icons first and this is a reason of the delay!?

Another possible reason of the delay is the antivirus/firewall software, if you're using any, try to disable it temporary, I'm using Defender and Firewall, so it could cause the delay, I'll be testing.

BTW - I remember one FC version, I think there was no delay there, but there was some problem with custom icons, then it was changed back, so it's probably just the icons causing the delay. Something in FC or Windows is blocking FC until the icons are fully loaded.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 20.07.2019, 17:06

OK, so another test...

- after 3+ hours while FC was inactive, fav. button click and FC frozen for 40+ seconds
- FC restart after few minutes, no delay for the fav. button

BTW I have just about 120 fav. items and about 35 items have custom icons.

I'll try to remove all custom icons and test it after the PC restart.
Attachments
fcfacfreezingScreenshot_07202019_164211.png

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 20.07.2019, 18:03

OK, I think I got it, another test...

- all custom icons removed (about 35), still have about 120 fav. items
- PC restart
- fav. button works instantly!

But...

- added just 3 custom icons, still 120 fav. items
- restart FC
- fav. button delay is about 20 seconds!

I think, that FC is checking/loading icons for all items, if there is at least one custom icon - but if there are just 10-20 fav. items, it's fast, because just few items are processed, but if there are 120+ items, it's freezing, because all (120+) items are processed.

Possible solution could be split the items with custom icons and items without custom icons, because processing items with custom icons is slow and processing items without custom icons is fast - that way we could have both, many favorite items and few items with custom icons.

Forez

#7 Post by Forez » 27.07.2019, 12:16

I think that my problem [which was absent on Windows 7] is solely on account of Windows 10 [which is a clean install]. Because also other "little" things are now plain slow

For example I have a BAT that deletes all *.SFK files on all of the drives. Those are small files [typically around 150 kB] and all of my drives are SSD plus one HDD 10000RPM. It used to be that the CMD would quickly appear, flash a list made on a spot and close itself. But now it takes time for it to show up and even more time to go through the drives- so much that I can read where such files have been just deleted

Or 2-3 simultaneously executed copy tasks via TeraCopy choke the system so much that the movement of mouse pointer is chopped or even comes to a halt

Forez

#8 Post by Forez » 30.10.2019, 13:20

I am now convinced that this is the solely the fault of my Windows 10- after over 3 months of using it the evidence is overwhelming. I have some system level issues with applying memory resources to tasks and enqueuing them

I red something about that Microsoft in the November Update there are going to fix some issues concerning communication with some CPUs- maybe this will help and the prolem will simply go away

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 31.10.2019, 21:01

It was fixed for me, please try the latest version 804 32-bit public beta or 804 donor.

Forez

#10 Post by Forez » 10.11.2019, 19:01

Unfortunately I do not see a difference

This is fault of my Windows 10. I was very pleased with my Windows 7- and now I am very displeased with my Windows 10

Dreamer
Site Admin

#11 Post by Dreamer » 10.11.2019, 19:31

Which version of Windows 10 do you have? I have 1809 version, newer is not available for me yet.

Forez

#12 Post by Forez » 18.03.2020, 18:03

I used to have for a long time version 1903. But now I am running now 1909; or something between 1903 and 1909- and that is because I had awful problems with updating it with some nasty errors

This problem was also present with the version I had before 1903

Dreamer
Site Admin

#13 Post by Dreamer » 18.03.2020, 21:58

Strange, it's fast for me, FC 816 / Windows 10 1909, I never had 1903 version.

Forez

#14 Post by Forez » 15.07.2023, 13:13

Forez wrote: 18.07.2019, 20:19 [...]
Every folder that I open through an icon placed there takes up to a second to show up. And the very same folder chosen in form of an already existing Tab shows up immediately
[...]
Long before I started using Build 887 64-bit Donor Portable and Build 880 32-bit Installed on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64, this issue had disappeared. But it could have been due to a Windows update, a Registry hack, or whatever change that I had made

Either way: case closed; and thank you for your time