The operation was canceled by user

Bugs and issues.
lukebrim

The operation was canceled by user

#1 Post by lukebrim » 25.11.2018, 23:04

When I delete a file or folder, then click No in the confirmation window another window opens that says "The operation was canceled by user". The message is not necessary is not expected on Windows.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: The operation was canceled by user

#2 Post by Dreamer » 25.11.2018, 23:17

Right, I'm not sure if it's a bug though.

Anyway, there's a workaround - Settings (F12) > File/Folder operations > General > Delete > "Use FreeCommander" option. There are few additional settings in the FC Delete dialog.

I recommend to use option "Use Vista+ delete method", it's much faster than standard FC delete when deleting thousands of files and the folder with many files is deleted as folder, as in Windows, if that option is disabled, all files are deleted separately and it's not easy to restore it.

lukebrim

Re: The operation was canceled by user

#3 Post by lukebrim » 26.11.2018, 00:03

If it's not a bug, then maybe it should be a feature request to turn off the second dialog? Meanwhile I will try the FreeCommander method for deleting. What is the difference between these two options:

* Use Vista method for not local drives (may be faster)
If this setting is checked and not local drives are affected, the operations are performed via a method provided by Microsoft up from Vista.
* Use Vista method for all drives
If this setting is checked, the operations are always performed via a method provided by Microsoft up from Vista.

It seems like I should use the first one because it might be faster, but would only affect external or remote drives. What happens on local drives? Does "not local" mean external drives (like USB)? Under what circumstances would it be faster?