A few FreeCommander Help file typos and suggestions

Bugs and issues.
JDN

A few FreeCommander Help file typos and suggestions

#1 Post by JDN » 18.05.2018, 01:03

Subject: FreeCommander Help file typos and suggestions

I recently reviewed a dozen File Commanders and I thought FreeCommander was the best of them all. Congratulations on doing a most excellent job creating FreeCommander.
I assume English is not your first language and as such, it us inevitable there would be some typos.

I'd like to begin by explaining some of the terms I will use:

-> I use this symbol because it looks like an arrow pointing to the right. I use it indicate I thought there was a problem with a phrase to the left of the arrow and I supply my suggestion to the right of the arrow. For example, to suggest that you change the spelling "sub folder" to "subfolder", I would write: "sub folder" -> "subfolder". You may think of the arrow as representing "should be".

For example: abc -> xyz means "abc" should be "xyz"

... I use three dots to indicate there is some missing text. It is easier to use that instead of typing all the text between two text strings when that may not be necessary.

Main Menu - File - Search - Examples

The wildcard "*" represents one or several alphanumeric or numeric characters. -> zero or more alphanumeric characters
Note: "alphanumeric" means "a thru z or 0 thru 9" so saying "alphanumeric or numeric characters" is redundant. You can just say "zero or more alphanumeric characters"

-\tmp;-\svn* excludes the subfolder temp -> subfolder tmp
under Sub folder filer -> under Subfolder filter
Here defined folder folder filters -> Here defined folder filters

include folders ... \*doc ... limits the search to sub folders whose names start with doc -> whose names end with doc

Timestamp filters ... If several timestamp filters are defined in the field "File name", only the last timestamp filter is applied The following timestamp filters are allowed:
-> only the last timestamp filter is applied. The following timestamp filters are allowed: (missing period at the end of sentence).

. Size filters ... One > entry an one < entry are allowed. -> One > entry and one < entry

. Size filters ... In the field "File name" files can be filtered by their file size. One > -entry an one < -entry are allowed. The size unit has to be entered before the size value. Examples:

. Size filters ... In the field "File name" files can be filtered by their file size. One > -entry an one < -entry are allowed. The size unit has to be entered before the size value. Examples:
In the field "File name", you may specify a maximum of one "greater than" filter using the symbol ">" (means "greater than").
In addition, you may specify a maximum of one "less than" filter using the symbol "<" (means "less than").

Examples:
week.txt >kb900 <mb1.2 equiv files named "week.txt" size more than 900 KB but less than 1.1 MB.
days.txt >gb3 equiv files named "days.txt" size more than 3.0 GB.
year.txt <tb2 equiv files named "days.txt" size less than 2.0 TB.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the FreeCommander Help file, under Overview of the user interface - Menu bar, it says:
The menu bar can be integrated in the actions toolbar. For that purpose the option "Show menu as toolbar" contained in the menu item "Tools -> Customize toolbar", has to be checked.
I couldn't find any entry called "Customize toolbar" under "Tools". There is one entry called "Customize Action Toolbars". But I couldn't find any entry there that is similar to "Show menu as toolbar".
It took me a while but I eventually figured out my problem.

The way to get the menu bar integrated in the actions toolbar is this:
Select Tools -> Customize Action Toolbar -> General Options -> Show main toolbar as many toolbars -> Show menu as toolbar. I'm guessing there was not enough room to specify "Customize Action Toolbars" in the Help file and so it was written as "Customize Toolbars" instead.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes you spell the word "subfolder" as "sub folder". This would normally not be a problem. But there are some instances that refer to folders and filters in the same sentence where I became confused.
I suggest that you spell the word as "subfolder" all the time.

Here is one example where I found your meaning difficult to understand:
From Main Menu - File - Search - Examples ... Using the field "File name" to enter other search criteria
"If an "Exclude folders filter" is defined in the field "File name", entries in the tab "Filters" under "Sub folder filter" are ignored."
The phrase "sub folder filter" was difficult to parse because it wasn't clear if "folder" belonged with "sub" or if it belonged with "filter".
Last edited by JDN on 23.05.2018, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: A few FreeCommander Help file typos and suggestions

#2 Post by Marek » 20.05.2018, 22:59

I appreciate your comments, many thanks.
My English is really not good :).

JDN

Re: A few FreeCommander Help file typos and suggestions

#3 Post by JDN » 23.05.2018, 01:21

Marek wrote: 20.05.2018, 22:59 I appreciate your comments, many thanks.
My English is really not good :).
Your English is AMAZINGLY good for someone whose first language is not English.

Your English is actually better than many people whose first language is English.

You have nothing to worry about when it comes to your English. I'm amazed you have so few typos regardless of what your first language is.

In the short time I have been using FreeCommander, I have grown to like it even more than I liked it when I decided it was the best of all the File Commanders I had reviewed.

So much so that I sent you some money to purchase the 64 bit versions of FreeCommander. I figure it is one of the best software apps I have purchased - well worth the money.

I will edit my first post to include any more typos I find and you may review them whenever you have the time. They are all very tiny typos. Not really worth going out of your way.

I read one of the reviews by some professional reviewer about FreeCommander. They said they found it confusing because there were so many icons in the Action Toolbar.

I wanted to answer them, "Hey Dumbell!" There are so many icons because there is such a wealth of functions. If you are not willing to look in the Help file to get more info about any icon you don't understand, it's only natural you will be confused. You need to spend a little more time reading and learning instead of criticizing without even taking the time to learn the meaning of the icons that you don't understand.