Drag and Drop into FC (from winexp or desktop) locking up

Bugs and issues.
ottenm

Drag and Drop into FC (from winexp or desktop) locking up

#1 Post by ottenm » 23.09.2016, 04:57

On Windows 10 running FC XE 2016 Build 715 32-bit public I periodically get locked out from dragging files or folders into Free Commander. When this happens, I can still drag and drop FROM FC out to the desktop or to other windows/apps, or within FC between panels or just to different folders within a tree. It's just the drag/drop from outside being brought in. It shows the black circle with the line through it, the same one you get if you try to drop a file or folder on the title bar of the FC window. It takes a reboot of the OS to fix/restore the issue. If I just exit and restarting FC, the problem persists.

Thanks for any help or suggestions, even just stuff to kill off in the task manager that might fix without rebooting.

joby_toss

Re: Drag and Drop into FC (from winexp or desktop) locking u

#2 Post by joby_toss » 23.09.2016, 05:49

I haven't encountered this issue yet, but try to stop/start explorer.exe instead of rebooting.

ottenm

#3 Post by ottenm » 23.09.2016, 16:33

No luck, but thanks for the suggestion.

For future ref: killing off explorer.exe blanks the screen, but it all comes back by launching 'explorer' from the Task Manager under File > Run new task.

Have (finally) donated and installed the 64-bit donor version, fingers crossed hoping that will fix it.

Mike

ottenm

#4 Post by ottenm » 23.09.2016, 20:42

Bummer! Same issue in 64-bit donor. ;(

Something peculiar: Using an app called 'Team Viewer' I opened a remote control session from another machine, and even though I could not drag/drop into FC while sitting at the console, the same FC instance did let me drag/drop from the desktop while I was remote controlling from another box. After I closed the remote session and came back to the box, with the same FC instance still opened the desktop, back to the black circle with the line through it and no drag/drop.

Is there any kind of debug mode where I can get a trace of everything FC is doing/seeing?

Thanks for any help. And let me know if I should be posting this in the donor forum.

Mike

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss » 24.09.2016, 07:15

I don't think there is a debug mode for FC in this case, but here is what I would do first:
1. Try with default settings.
2. Try starting FC with admin rights.
3. Stop any antivirus or security suite on that system.
4. Try making a small recording (animated .gif or video using ShareX or similar tools) to display the exact problem.