FC does not correctly handle very long paths

Bugs and issues.
seb

FC does not correctly handle very long paths

#1 Post by seb » 12.06.2016, 21:02

I am using the Eclipse IDE for Java Coding. Eclipse tends to create very long paths within project directories for it's metadata.

Copying or deleting such long paths is not possible with FreeCommander, the same is true when unzipping long paths from an archive. Other programs incl. Windows Explorer do not have the problem.

In Windows Explorer for example you can create and copy a directory with the name "ThisIsAnExtremlyLongDirectoryNameButWindowsExplorerAndOtherProgramsAreAbleToCreateAndDeleteIt_ThisIsAnExtremlyLongDirectoryNameButWindowsExplorerAndOtherProgramsAreAbleToCreateAndDeleteIt_ThisIsAnExtremlyLongDirectoryNameButWindowsExplorerAndOtherProgramsAreAbleToCreateAndDeleteIt"

FC is only able to rename it to a shorter name but cannot copy it or delete it.

If this is a limitation because FC is a 32bit application, then at least for deleting such a directory as a workaround FC could rename it first automatically and give it a shorter name and then deleted.

I am currently using FreeCommander XE 2016 Build 715 32-bit public.

Karol

Re: FC does not correctly handle very long paths

#2 Post by Karol » 13.06.2016, 11:38

I have no problem with copy and delete such long paths with the current release 723.
Indeed it works fine only if you use the option "Use FreeCommander" for the operation. You may not use "Vista+" option too.