Newly installed FC loading infinitely

Bugs and issues.
ttc

Newly installed FC loading infinitely

#1 Post by ttc » 21.02.2016, 07:56

Hello,

I hope my English will suffice. After my FreeCommander was getting slower and sometimes hanging so that I had to interrupt it with the task manager, I hoped to improve the performance by installing the XE 2016 version. Unfortunately things have become worse: FC is always blinking, i.e. it keeps loading the files all the time, three times a second or so. No matter which drive I choose. Has anybody an idea how to solve this issue? Maybe remains of the old version in the registry or so? (Cannot find any, but that doesn't mean that there are none.) I hope this is not caused by malware or so.

Anyway, it's not possible to use FC, and I really miss it. Hope there'll be a solution. Thanks in advance for any advice.

joby_toss

Re: Newly installed FC loading infinitely

#2 Post by joby_toss » 21.02.2016, 08:45

Try auto refresh only for general changes:

ttc

#3 Post by ttc » 21.02.2016, 08:48

thanks - just tried it, but unfortunately doesn't change anything. it "refreshes" and blinks really quick and nervously, maybe about ten times a second. not easy to get into the settings dialogue because it's that busy with refreshing...

hopefully no virus. windows file manager is working without problems by the way.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 21.02.2016, 09:22

Would like you to try the portable version (extract the files in a folder not on system's partition), using default settings, to see if this still happens: link.

ttc

#5 Post by ttc » 21.02.2016, 16:34

Have extracted the portable version to the data partition and launched it from there - no problem any more, working properly. Very nice! What does that mean regarding the cause?

Edit: Argh. Only two minutes later, the same problem as described above is back. Now it's blinking with 500 bpm again. Confused.

Edit: Not sure, but I think it started after I tried to sort a folder with many data by comments. When I toggle into Two-window-mode, the left one keeps blinking, the right one is calm. Still not possible to work with it because it hangs. Have to close FC with the task manager then. When opening it again, the problem persists.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 21.02.2016, 23:33

Maybe you can post a screenshot so we can get a better idea?

ttc

#7 Post by ttc » 21.02.2016, 23:59

Of course I can, but I'm afraid it would be looking pretty "normal" - like any other file list on any computer. You could only demonstrate it by video.

It's like when you open the program or change the folder and the files load. Only that they don't load once, but all the time, very quickly. They disappear for some milliseconds and load again. On my PC everything works fine, but not on my laptop.

Don't know if this gives any clue, but Malwarebytes says everything is clean. Zero findings. I would prefer a bug rather than a virus, of course. ;)

If you still think a screenshot would help I can post it tomorrow. Thanks for your support.

Karol

#8 Post by Karol » 22.02.2016, 08:01

Try to deactivate all USB drives - if you have any.

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss » 22.02.2016, 14:17

@ttc: I don't want to see the issue, I want to see the layout (tabs/panes/trees etc.), maybe there is a clue there.

ttc

#10 Post by ttc » 23.02.2016, 15:25

joby_toss wrote:@ttc: I don't want to see the issue, I want to see the layout (tabs/panes/trees etc.), maybe there is a clue there.
Alright, I see. My fault. :)

Anyway. As I wanted to make the screenshot, I think I found the reason: The problem only emerges when the file list has to be sorted by the comments column. I forgot that FC remembers this preference even after a new start and of course as well when you change the folder. If I change to "sort by name" or another criterion, there's no issue anymore. So can use it again which is great. To sort by comments would be helpful, but it's not that essential. Thanks for your help!