Desktop Screenshot - Brings up BLANK (grey) screen

Bugs and issues.
bbaru

Desktop Screenshot - Brings up BLANK (grey) screen

#1 Post by bbaru » 17.02.2015, 20:19

I have an issue with FreecCommander Desktop Snapshot. No matter how I attempt to take a snapshot (using hot keys or by the button in the tool window), when the selection indicator appears (or even if I opt to capture the entire desktop) the screen invariably turns blank (a grey color). This appears to happen no matter how I may alter the snapshot tool settings.

I am using FreeCommander XE 2015 Build 685 Public 32bit on Windows 7 SP1. I just downloaded and installed it (using the installer). I had been using the XE Build 650 previously without any problems. I actually had to go back to that version from the beta that was available (it was posted on your site at the time that the Build 650 was the default download). That beta had the same problem for me. XE Build 650, however, was fine.

It's a wonderful program, this has really been the only problem that I have ever experienced. :D

joby_toss

Re: Desktop Screenshot - Brings up BLANK (grey) screen

#2 Post by joby_toss » 17.02.2015, 21:01

That's strange, it works fine for me on my win7sp1. Do you use a multi-monitor setup (I can't test that)?

bbaru

#3 Post by bbaru » 17.02.2015, 21:10

joby_toss wrote:That's strange, it works fine for me on my win7sp1. Do you use a multi-monitor setup?
I agree. It's strange. I have only one monitor (with nothing special set up). As I mentioned, I had the same thing with an earlier beta (I think it was 665). It's rather a bummer as this is a feature that I use regularly and while I can use other things (such as MS Onenote) for screen captures, I like how FreeCommander handles them better (with the range of options).

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 17.02.2015, 21:16

Could you try the portable version using default settings (make sure you don't use the system's partition)?

bbaru

#5 Post by bbaru » 17.02.2015, 21:34

joby_toss wrote:Could you try the portable version using default settings (make sure you don't use the system's partition)?
Presumably, I could. I haven't got a chance to try that out right now. I did use an earlier portable version to do screen captures before I reverted to Build 650 from a later beta. I would just have to open that version to do the capture (it was the 2009b version).

I am unclear what you mean about "system's partition." I would think that you're referring to where I place the executable.

At any rate, I will give the portable a try when I get a chance and report back (really, I will). Thanks. :)

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 17.02.2015, 21:54

I have compared the program code for that function. It was not changed between 650 and now.
You could try to increase the delay:
- search in the freecommander.ini for [FcScreenSnapshot] (if not exists, go to Screenshot dialog and use "Save" button first)
- change the value for DelaySec=3 to e.g. Delay=7
You should make the changes in the freecommander.ini when FC is closed.

bbaru

#7 Post by bbaru » 17.02.2015, 22:03

Hi, Marek. Thank you for your reply and the wonderful program.

I have found and changed the .ini value for the delay from "3" to "7" as you suggested. Unfortunately, apart from it now taking four seconds longer, I just get a plain, light grey screen.