[652] Server Updates Hanging FC Tree

Bugs and issues.
lordawe

[652] Server Updates Hanging FC Tree

#1 Post by lordawe » 27.01.2014, 18:18

We just migrated to a new server and now the FC tree flickers many times a second and basically hangs FC when first started as well as whenever the server is busy/active while files are being copied to it. It seems that FC is interpreting the message sent when a new file is placed on the server as a need to redraw the tree, regardless of whether that folder is active in any pane, or if folder has been created or modified.

I have tried every variation of FCs network settings with no change. I think the following from Microsoft may help Marek diagnose, but the registry changes sited have no effect with FC

from "support.microsoft.com/kb/831129":
"When you view local drives or mapped network drives in Microsoft Windows Explorer, the left pane (folder tree) or the tree view may flicker, or the whole folder structure may constantly be updated with speeds that vary from one update every few seconds to one every few minutes. Therefore, users who are logged on to a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based terminal server may experience performance issues with Windows Explorer. "

lordawe

Re: [652] Server Updates Hanging FC Tree

#2 Post by lordawe » 30.01.2014, 20:48

I spent some time with our server support person and he managed to get FC to work better by downgrading my SMB from 3.0 to 1.0. The tree still flashes alot but at least FC doesnt hang my system now. I dont know yet if this is going to effect other applications that may assume the SMB protocol is newer than 1.0.

Marek - Please either add a setting to limit the number of refreshes the tree does on a network drive or perhaps support SMB 3.0 better.

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 07.02.2014, 15:29

You could try to increase the refresh interval for e.g. 3 sec.
[Form]
TreeRefreshTimerInterval=3000

lordawe

#4 Post by lordawe » 07.02.2014, 20:53

That seems to have helped considerably. Thanks very much Marek! The tree still flashes about 10 times a second in a folder that is busy but I can navigate in and out of the folder where previously I was stuck there.

FYI - we have seen some related (but not identical) problems with Windows Explorer on this new server and have our server support working on it so this is not a FC issue only but some kind of network message thing with Win7

Thanks again!
Loren.