Sizes in Hint Pattern of Status Bar could be intelligent- depending on the size of data [RESOLVED]

Discussion, questions and support.
Forez

Sizes in Hint Pattern of Status Bar could be intelligent- depending on the size of data [RESOLVED]

#1 Post by Forez » 10.11.2018, 13:09

Under the

Tools > Settings > View > Status Bar > Content > Define Details >

we are able to define how information looks like in the Status Bar. We can among other things present to ourselves information about sizes of files and about available disk space

As for sizes, I personally use MB for Text Pattern with all of three for Hint Pattern. This allows me always to see the size in megabytes and also in bytes, kilobytes and megabytes when I hover with the mouse pointer upon those megabytes on Status Bar. But I would like to see always the highest multiples of bytes when value 1 is reached [especially assuming that this request for showing gigabytes will be implemented: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... =20&t=9064]

Which means e.g.:
- if selection has 999 kilobytes, Status Bar will show 0.99 KB
- if selection has 1001 kilobytes, Status Bar will show 1.00 MB
- if selection has 999 megabytes, Status Bar will show 0.99 MB
- if selection has 1001 megabytes, Status Bar will show 1.00 GB
- if selection has 999 gigabytes, Status Bar will show 0.99 GB
- if selection has 1001 gigabytes, Status Bar will show 1.00 TB

I know that those TB might seem a step too far but so did the gigabytes 10 years ago- and look where we are now with data storage and sizes of for example widely available feature movies

Of course that should be an option, to the liking of a given user. And to make it even more user adjustable- I would give an additional choice- at which value to start. I personally would always like to see no less than MB magnitude for my data
Last edited by Forez on 09.04.2023, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

Forez

Re: Sizes in Hint Pattern of Status Bar could be intelligent- depending on the size of data

#2 Post by Forez » 10.11.2018, 18:19

Well, it is already there: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 580#p28580

Stupid me