What is your personal usage ratio FC / MSFE and why?

Discussion, questions and support.
Strawberry

What is your personal usage ratio FC / MSFE and why?

#1 Post by Strawberry » 18.09.2018, 12:50

Hi all,

Since the "Dragging when Full row select is enabled" bug has been solved I've really been enjoying using FC :)

Nonetheless there are 2 major issues which prevent me using FC 100% of the time when manipulating folders and files with my Windows computer:

1) Interacting with the file system of a USB-connected Android device is really ultra-buggy compared to doing it with MS File Explorer
so I have for now given up using FC for that (fingers crossed FC will become better with USB-connected Android devices in future FC versions!)

2) Because of the "Optimizing thumbnail height so there is much less wasted vertical blank space" problem,
browsing and manipulating 16:9 pictures is not as practical as with MS-FE (I cannot see many pictures in one go, lots of vertical scrolling needed, etc...)
so I'm not using FC for that neither.

But I'm using FC for most of all the rest.

So I would say overall that when manipulating folders and files with my Windows computer:
50% of the time I spend on it, I do it using FC,
50% of the time I spend on it, I do it using MS-FE.

I would be curious to know what is the personal usage ratio FC / MSFE
of some of the FC users here and for which tasks they still prefer using MSFE rather than FC,
so please feel free to tell me/us about this in this thread,
I think this will also be of interest for the FC developers :)

Kind regards

Marek
Author
Author

Re: What is your personal usage ratio FC / MSFE and why?

#2 Post by Marek » 18.09.2018, 21:05

1) Interacting with the file system of a USB-connected Android device is really ultra-buggy compared to doing it with MS File Explorer
so I have for now given up using FC for that (fingers crossed FC will become better with USB-connected Android devices in future FC versions!)
I can not test all possible Android devices but on my Windows 10 I have no problems with my Samsung smartphone or tablet.
I can:
- copy/move files and folders
- drag&drop
- copy&paste
- rename file/folder
- delete files/folders
- view files (Ctrl+Q, F3)
- edit files (F4)
- thumbnails view
What do you have to do with MS Explorer?
Maybe you use older Windows?

Strawberry

#3 Post by Strawberry » 19.09.2018, 12:19

Hi Marek,

Thank you so much for catching the ball with regard to the above-mentioned Android problems,
I have open a new "USB-connected Android device file system interaction problems" bug report
to keep the two threads separate for forum clarity.

Meanwhile, I encourage FC users to tell us about their "personal usage ratio FC / MSFE and why?" in this current thread.

Many thanks and kind regards :)

cogollito al reverso

#4 Post by cogollito al reverso » 23.09.2018, 22:54

The programs below combine well for all of my navigation uses and desires. The first 3 programs also share application launching but in inverse order of frecuency. FC has been a liberation, yet I don't feel FC needs to meet all of my file navigation needs. And, unlike Strawberry, image navigation is not something I need or want to have integrated into my overall file navigation.

Estimated Percentage of Use for System Navigation (W10 Pro x64):
40% - FC [FreeCommanderXE-64-donor_portable] - virtually never use FC for application launching, which instead falls to True Launch Bar and sometimes Everything.
25% - Everything [portable] - for search, but also for MANY occasions where I might otherwise use FC or a file explorer like MSFE ..or otherwise have the need to organize files differently/better.
25% - True Launch Bar [portable]
10% - FastStone Viewer [portable] - images, photos
0-1% - MSFE [sometimes for control panels access, and also for Recycle Bin look-sees i use either MSFE and/or Everything]

- Copying: I use FastCopy within FC for all copying.
- Renaming: I use a combo of FC's and Everthing's multi-renamers
[to integrate the Everything renamer into FC, I worked with David (author of Everything) and he came up with %ActivSelAsFile% as the Favorite Toolbar parameter, along with a batch file to be placed in the Everything portable application folder.]

Strawberry

#5 Post by Strawberry » 24.09.2018, 10:14

Hi cogollito al reverso,
Super interesting/informative/educative, loved your post,
thank you so much for taking the time to share that info :)
Hopefully we'll carry on hearing from more FC users about this topic :)
Kind regards

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 25.09.2018, 22:04

Well if I evaluating pictures, editing them etc. I use the good old ACDSee 3.1. And I mean here only raster graphics excluding Photoshop files

For all the rest [including handling of files used in CorelDRAW] I use FC

But my graphic work is not mega-advanced and not so often, so I really do not have problem with using an old tool and a newer one that was not design particularly with handling graphics in mind