How to change icon for all folders from the OS default one?

Discussion, questions and support.
Forez

How to change icon for all folders from the OS default one?

#1 Post by Forez » 28.03.2018, 11:00

I have just executed in my Windows 7 x64 this https://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-chan ... n-windows/ [the first solution of them two]. As a result in Windows Explorer I now have the exact icon I want to showing for all of the folders. Unfortunately this change did no occur in FreeCommnader

Aside from some posts about various problems with icons on toolbars and such, I was able to find this http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... Icons.html. But that is not it

So, how do I change in FreeCommander my overall folder icon to the one I want?
Last edited by Forez on 28.03.2018, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

Karol

Re: How to change icon for all folders from the OS default one?

#2 Post by Karol » 28.03.2018, 11:44

As I know FreeCommander use Windows icons and you can not change folder or file icon.
Have you checked "Extracted" and "Registered" icons?

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 28.03.2018, 18:20

Karol wrote:
28.03.2018, 11:44
As I know FreeCommander use Windows icons and you can not change folder or file icon.
So the change should occur. But even after a reset it does not. And I have that my new icon even in the Registry visible- but not in FC

But what is interesting on that last note: also my good old ACDSee 3.1 did not comply with the change. And both FreeCommander and ACDSee do use the icons I have set up for example for the MP3 or TXT format- but when it comes to folders, only the individual ones are correctly displayed by both of them them [like for example the Recycle Bin or the user's Documents]
Karol wrote:
28.03.2018, 11:44
Have you checked "Extracted" and "Registered" icons?
I have just checked that

Tools > Settings > View > File / Folder List > Icons

I changed all of them to every available option, one by one, i.e.:
- Extracted
- Registered
- Fixed
And every three times I did this I of course closed and reopened the FreeCommander for the change to have an opportunity to load up itself [as it is sometimes required with other FC settings]

I did not see any change- the icon for folders is still the same old yellow Microsoft ugliness

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 09.04.2018, 17:59

I also naviageted in the CMD to
C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE
and entered the
FreeCommander.exe /N /NewIni=%FcAppDataPath%\Settings\FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English
mode. The folder icons did not change

I also run the latest portable version. The folder icons did not change

Forez

#5 Post by Forez » 09.04.2018, 18:29

What I have also noticed: some third party software also still uses default Microsoft icons while other use the icon that I want

For example old [from the year 2000] ACDSee 3.1 uses default ones, as also the constantly updated Mp3tag [currently 2.87]. But CorelDRAW X7 and Firefox 56.0.2 64-bit uses my icon

And up there, at that registry hack step by step guide, they say to set values 3 and 4- but I also tried values 0, 1, 2 and from 5 to 10; to no luck