Copy Links vs Follow Links

Discussion, questions and support.
Dantoys

Copy Links vs Follow Links

#1 Post by Dantoys » 02.02.2018, 19:38

Hello, I recently updated my computer, and then attached my old drive as an external drive..I then used freeCommander to delete some folders I no longer needed on my old drive (ie. Windows, Program Files, ProgramData, etc..)

It came to my attention, a little to late, that the File copy/move/delete function built into freeCommander follows a shortcut, actually removing files below where the shortcut points...
the Vista (Windows) delete method...removes the shortcut, and does not follow the pointer...

I am curious if this was done by design, or is a side effect.??

Could we have a checkbox added to the freecommander file function, to act upon the shortcut if we want, and maybe this could help prevent file loose.

Thanks.. and thanks for the free software, we love you guys, making things free for us poor folk..
many blessings!

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Copy Links vs Follow Links

#2 Post by Dreamer » 03.02.2018, 12:46

Please provide more information, OS version, FreeCommander version, steps to reproduce. First upgrade to the latest version 770. Use the links below for more help.

Dantoys

#3 Post by Dantoys » 05.02.2018, 15:01

ok... current version of Freecammander... FreeCommander XE 2018 Build 770 32-bit public
OS is Windows 7 Pro 64bit.. Latest Patches..
installed onto C: Drive...

Old OS was Drive letter G:

When I hit the delete button on G: drive..the Links that pointed to the C: Drive, removed files on the C: drive.

just a note, this occurred to the folders pointed to by shortcuts on the G: drive...

For example.. the Folder for Administration Tools, was completely wiped out... because there was a shortcut on G:, intended for G: back when G: was actually C:...

Maybe this should be put under some Bug Topic... As I am just replacing the files from a backup as I come across missing files... but this could be very disastrous.

Karol

#4 Post by Karol » 05.02.2018, 15:25

What type of "Link" you mean? I think not a *.lnk file?
Have you tried the same operation with Windows Explorer?
What is your option for delete "Use Windows" or "Use FreeCommander" http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... neral.html ?

Dantoys

#5 Post by Dantoys » 05.02.2018, 15:40

the file "link" i am referring to is indeed a *.lnk file. (shortcut)

no it is entirely possible that this occurs with hardlink files as well. I cannot comfirm if these files existed as hardlink files.

I have been restoring files from a backup as i go..I should have taken notes, and recorded where I've noticed missing files, but other than the start menu, and the administration tools, I've not needed to recover any files.. there are many small shortcuts in Windows 7 that are there to support old, Windows XP folder structures. for instance, on the C: drive, there is a link for "Documents and Settings" that points to the "USERS" folder...

I assume because this is labeled as a Folder by windows, instead as a Shortcut, this link is a hardlink. Windows is very vague when it comes to these things, unlike are Linux systems that give much greater details.