Color Schemes - Discussion

Discussion, questions and support.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Color Schemes - Discussion

#16 Post by Dreamer » 28.03.2018, 23:59

It's the same place as menu and toolbar:

Menu > View > View style > Gradient - Custom > Define... > Menu tab* > Gradient start > Selection color
Menu > View > View style > Gradient - Custom > Define... > Menu tab* > Gradient stop > Selection color

* it's not updated yet, in the Help.

Forez

#17 Post by Forez » 29.03.2018, 20:45

Dreamer wrote: 28.03.2018, 23:59 It's the same place as menu and toolbar:

Menu > View > View style > Gradient - Custom > Define... > Menu tab* > Gradient start > Selection color
Menu > View > View style > Gradient - Custom > Define... > Menu tab* > Gradient stop > Selection color
[...]
That's not it

These two control how a single horizontal "highlight bar" looks like in the right mouse button menu- so something after I click [and it is not even that element I am trying to affect]

I am talking about the color to which changes File or Edit or Folder or Favorites or View or Tools or Help "menu button", when the pointer is over it. [Previously I gave as an example >>"Menu" in Menu<< - which apparently in FC does not exists]

I have also been through all of the options, one by one, up there in "Define..."- and I was unable to see a change I desire. Maybe this color of that element is just a derivative of some other setup color; thus not controlled directly? It may be a coincident, but I noticed in all of the schemas I tried out that this color is similar to other used within a given schema [so not something like bright yellow in a grey themed one but some greyish]- and also in mine own dark grey / black schema created from scratch this color is black. But then again: I also have looked throughout the options for black or near black color, changing every instance of it within my schema that I could spot to something like easy to notice [and not used y me anywhere else] magenta- and I did not see a change in the menu in the end

Dreamer
Site Admin

#18 Post by Dreamer » 30.03.2018, 01:20

Main menu items use the same color. What exactly do you want, menu background hover color, or text color?

Perhaps the best would be to post some screenshot and use some red arrow to element you want to change.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17

Forez

#19 Post by Forez » 01.04.2018, 15:22

This is the state when my pointer is over the View element. It is the original state [minus the not pointer not captured by the screenshot]: the color of frames are coming out from FC settings- as is the color of View section. As you can see, it has color #161312, darker than the rest- and I want to change that #161312

Dreamer
Site Admin

#20 Post by Dreamer » 01.04.2018, 15:54

Just to make sure, do you mean that background color inside the View item, as on this screenshot, right?
Screenshot_04012018_153148.png
Screenshot_04012018_153148.png (11 KiB) Viewed 168515 times
Which OS are you using? As I said, you can change this color using these two options:

Try to change these colors to red, if your color will be the same, try to test with default settings.
Screenshot_04012018_154651.png

Forez

#21 Post by Forez » 02.04.2018, 13:51

Dreamer wrote: 01.04.2018, 15:54 Just to make sure, do you mean that background color inside the View item, as on this screenshot, right?
[...]
Yes, that is exactly the color I want to change
Dreamer wrote: 01.04.2018, 15:54 Which OS are you using?
Windows 7 x64
FreeCommander XE 2018 Build 770 32-bit public
Dreamer wrote: 01.04.2018, 15:54 As I said, you can change this color using these two options:

Try to change these colors to red, if your color will be the same, try to test with default settings.
I did back then and I did now. And now I also have switched to Default White schema and tried to change it; also with reopening of the FC and checking if the change was saved [just to make sure]

The result is the same: it is visible even right down there at
Menu > View > View style > Gradient - Custom > Define... > Menu tab
because now those four positions right there [Gradient start, Gradient stop, Font, Border] have this red color when I hoover over them; but the View [and other main Menu items] are still being highlighted when hoovered upon in a way you can see on that fragment of screenshot I have provided

I also now loaded up the Dark Grey Flat Default schema and made the same change- with the same result. That red appears in various places, but not in the main Menu. In Menu it stays the same: #42a7ff / RGB 66 167 255

Here is that buggly adjusted schema Dark Grey Flat Default: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=041 ... 5447865847. It has Red as Gradient start and Yellow as Gradient stop

Dreamer
Site Admin

#22 Post by Dreamer » 02.04.2018, 15:00

OK, I have the red and yellow colors, when using my custom settings and default settings, I tried also with 770 32-bit public, could you try it last time with default settings, please? Just to make sure it's not some FC option.

Try to reproduce a bug with default settings and without plugins. To do this, use these command line parameters if you are using a standard setup version (your custom setting files will be preserved):
/N /NewIni=%FcAppDataPath%\Settings\FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English
When you need to restart or exit FreeCommander and start it with last used (test) settings, use these parameters:
/N /Ini=%FcAppDataPath%\Settings\FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English
If you are using a portable version, you can use these command line parameters for default settings:
/N /NewIni=%FcSrcPath%\Settings\FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English
These parameters to start with last used (test) setting in portable version:
/N /Ini=%FcSrcPath%\Settings\FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English
If you are testing often, you can create desktop shortcuts with these parameters, or the favorite items in FreeCommander.

It it will be the same, then it's probably OS related issue.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#23 Post by Dreamer » 02.04.2018, 15:12

OK, it looks it's the option "Many toolbars - Show menu as toolbar", I have a light blue color with your "bug" schema file.

I think it's not a bug, because Menu become a toolbar with this option.

So, you need to change this option:

Menu > View > View style > Gradient - Custom > Define... > General tab > Gradient start > Selection color

Same color will be used for toolbar button selection gradient start.

Forez

#24 Post by Forez » 02.04.2018, 19:05

I was suppose to write
Not understanding completely what I was suppose to do, I opened CMD, navigated in it to

C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE

and entered

FreeCommander.exe /N /NewIni=%FcAppDataPath%\Settings\FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English

After FC has opened I chose White Default to be sure and went to

This time the red / yellow change also occurred in the Menu, right away without problems

So as I understand this, it show me that is not an OS problem but a FC setting or bug. This is also confirmed by the fact that when I went [before that CMD thing] to Windows 7 customization options and changed every black color I could find to some other and tried some original theme, I still had that near black in my FC Menu [instead of red / yellow]
but then I saw your second post.

And so: I have three toolbars, aside from that original Menu one; all in one line [at the same horizontal level]. Under the

Customize favorite toolbars... > General options

I have the >>Integrate favorite toolbars with action toolbars<< option turned on. When I turn it off then I have a choice between >>one wrappable toolbar<< and "many >>toolbars<<. If I choose the first, then I have one toolbar- without Menu being visible at all [it simply disappears]. If I choose the other then one of my toolbars gets moved a line below, and the other is visible partially, over imposed on the third [simply a total mess]

And so I am not able to tell how now my Menu looks like, as I do not see it [unless I revert to >>Integrate favorite toolbars with action toolbars<< being turned on - the state in which I do not get the red / yellow test colors]
Last edited by Forez on 30.05.2018, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

JDN

#25 Post by JDN » 18.05.2018, 01:13

I'm happy to see there exists a thread about Color Schemes. Although my question may not concern the strict definition of "Color Schemes", I hope it is OK for me to make this post in this thread.

There is one small problem that has been bothering me. When I select Tools then Settings, I see a menu that contains a solid dark blue band across the top. It contains the Title "Settings" in the upper left corner.
But directly below this band, there is a shorter band that contains a label describing which item you select from the list on the left hand side.
Before selecting any item, the label is "General". But I find this label almost impossible to read. The color of its font is black and the background color appears to transition from grey on either end of the band to blue in the middle. But it makes the label almost impossible to read - at least for me.

My guess is this is some kind of Windows setting that I'd like to change. I select the "Personalization" item from the context menu that appears when I right-click on the empty desktop. I then select an icon named "Window Color" at the bottom of the Window. This opens an window that allows me to specify the color of many items such as the Active Window Title and Inactive Window Title. But I've experimented for an hour or so with these selections but cannot find any way to change the color of the band under the dark blue band on the window that appears when I select Tools then Settings.

Does anyone know how I can change the color of this band or the color of the font used? If I could change it to white, I think that would make the label much easier to read.

JDN

#27 Post by JDN » 18.05.2018, 04:05

FreeCommander XE 2018 Build 770 32-bit public Windows 7

I've never posted a screenshot before and I hope this will do it.

I had to stretch this screen shot along the vertical. But I think you will still be able to see my problem. The label "General" is almost impossible to see. I want to change either the background color or the color of the font.

Here is the link:

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2018/05/18/dt3.png

Please let me know if this is OK? Thank you.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#28 Post by Dreamer » 18.05.2018, 21:18

Thanks, I can see the screenshot, I had to switch to 100%, but I can see the problem.

First, probably it's not related with color schemes. I'm using Windows 10, so it's not easy to help. I tried to switch color schemes, but that color is still the same, light blue background and black font.

JDN

#29 Post by JDN » 18.05.2018, 21:35

OK. Well I will be buying a new PC in the next few weeks and I'll be upgrading to Windows 10.

I'm not certain I understand. Are you saying that the color of that menu is something under the control of Windows and not FC?

If so, is there no way I can do anything to change either the color of the background or color of the font?

Are there any other Windows controls that I can use to change those things aside from that one control called "Window Color" under Personalization?

P.S. I have noticed that when I use Windows Explorer to copy files, the color of the window displayed is exactly the same as the color of this problem Window. I would be surprised if there is no way I can adjust that. It's hardly a critical problem. I was just hoping to be able to customize those colors because FC is so enormously customizable.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#30 Post by Dreamer » 18.05.2018, 22:15

I tried also default settings, and the color is still the same, I tried to change the whole color scheme with completely different colors, to make sure none of those colors are used there, so I think it can't be changed, but I'm not 100% sure. Perhaps Marek could help you.

One more thing you can try is to test with default settings, you can use help in the same link as above.

If you can see the same color in Explorer, it should be a Windows color, try to find the same color in Windows settings, or change the Windows color scheme / theme. You can backup/save the current color scheme and then try to switch to default scheme, or download a new color scheme. Few links, not sure if it works, since I can't test it here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... d874fe5196
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD2orCsj8Xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVRiOCTvud4