730 - Column profiles - condition issues

Discussion, questions and support.
Dreamer
Site Admin

730 - Column profiles - condition issues

#1 Post by Dreamer » 29.11.2016, 17:25

When using column profile - condition "All subfolders <sub>" it doesn't work in subfolders, I have to add "*", then it works, but the Example is wrong either, "*\fotos" doesn't work, I think it should work in subfolders automatically, even without "*" at the end, since it's in the name of the option. (if not possible, then the Example should be corrected).

<mask>*pictures* doesn't work at all, it works only in C:\Pictures - it doesn't work in subfolders. Not sure if this is a feature or bug though.

FC 730 32 bit public beta, Win 10 64 bit.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: 730 - Column profiles - condition issues

#2 Post by Marek » 29.11.2016, 21:18

Code: Select all

When using column profile - condition "All subfolders <sub>" it doesn't work in subfolders, I have to add "*", then it works, but the Example is wrong either, "*\fotos" doesn't work, I think it should work in subfolders automatically, even without "*" at the end, since it's in the name of the option. (if not possible, then the Example should be corrected).
It works for me as expected. With the mask you can decide where the profile will be used. If you use "*\fotos" then the profile will be used only in the "fotos" folders. If you want apply your profile to subfolders too then define the mask as "*\fotos*".
<mask>*pictures* doesn't work at all, it works only in C:\Pictures - it doesn't work in subfolders. Not sure if this is a feature or bug though.
Works fine for me. The mask is used only for the folder name.

IMPORTANT: if you change the folder, FreeCommander search from the top of the list, the right profile. Your <mask>*pictures* may not work at all due to the order in the list.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 29.11.2016, 22:12

Thanks for the reply, Marek.

I still think, it's a bit confusing, since the option says "All subfolders" and it's possible to use the browse button to add folders, so the normal / new user may think it should work automatically is "all subfolders", moreover, the example is not very helpful either.

I suggest to add / change the example, at least, something like this:

Code: Select all

*\fotos (for all folders with this name), *\fotos* (for all folders with this name incl. all subfolders)
Or perhaps the name "All subfolders" should be changed to "All folders"?

sfgs97

#4 Post by sfgs97 » 04.12.2023, 22:20

I realize this is an old topic; however, I found it due to likewise being confused as to why setting the condition All Subfolders doesn't actually result in all subfolders displaying the same columns.

For example, the condition <sub>D:\Music does not actually result in all subfolders of Music on the D drive displaying the same columns as the Music folder itself.

So, yes, I concur with the original poster that most users will interpret it the same way and therefore be confused as to why it isn't working as expected.