Address bar requires multiple clicks to edit

Discussion, questions and support.
Anti-Distinctlyminty

Address bar requires multiple clicks to edit

#1 Post by Anti-Distinctlyminty » 04.07.2016, 15:30

Hi all,
I finding my everyday use of the address bar rather frustrating. Mainly because, in order to edit the address, I have to click so many times.
1. MMB Click (which I find awkward anyway)
2. Then click again to get the cursor to be active
3. Then click somewhere in the path so I can start editing.

Is it possible to have it just do all three when I click on the address bar? i.e. when I click someone in the address, just start editing at that point.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Address bar requires multiple clicks to edit

#2 Post by Dreamer » 04.07.2016, 21:57

Which version are you using? In the build 722 donor this feature has been added:

- Implemented: Left click in the free area of the address bar start the editing if the option "Show history popup menu on free area click" is not set

It is possible to left click the upper part of the address bar to edit path. Whole path is selected by default, this is useful, usually I just click to edit and then paste the path from clipboard (with mouse or ctrl+v) - otherwise I'd have to select the path, which is more complicated than removing selection.

BTW, you can use also the keyboard shortcut to edit path - and you can even change it.

Anti-Distinctlyminty

#3 Post by Anti-Distinctlyminty » 05.07.2016, 08:05

Dreamer wrote:Which version are you using?
I'm on 716.
It is possible to left click the upper part of the address bar to edit path. Whole path is selected by default...
Yeah, this is exactly what I want. Should this be available in 716? If so then I'm doing something wrong. If I click anywhere on the address, it will just go to the folder that was under the mouse.
BTW, you can use also the keyboard shortcut to edit path - and you can even change it.
This has the same issue. I know I can change it, but I find Alt+g an awkward key combo for some reason. In any event it has the same issue as middle click - the address is now editable, but I still have to click several times. Once to start editing, and again to highlight the text.
If I'm doing something stupid please let me know.

What would be nice is just an option to hit Ctrl+v when the mouse is over the address bar and have it paste & go to the directory in the clipboard (after making sure the path is valid that is).

Timon

#4 Post by Timon » 05.07.2016, 12:28

Should this be available in 716?
No, it's implemented from version 722 donor (you have to make a donation to get access to donor version)

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 05.07.2016, 17:09

Anti-Distinctlyminty wrote: Yeah, this is exactly what I want. Should this be available in 716? If so then I'm doing something wrong. If I click anywhere on the address, it will just go to the folder that was under the mouse.
It works also in the build 695 32-bit donor and also in 680 public beta. You need to click the upper part/half of the address bar line.
This has the same issue. I know I can change it, but I find Alt+g an awkward key combo for some reason.
You can use Ctrl+Shift+Left, then just Left to remove selection.
In any event it has the same issue as middle click - the address is now editable, but I still have to click several times. Once to start editing, and again to highlight the text.
If I'm doing something stupid please let me know.
Possibly you do somthing wrong, why you remove highlighting and then highlight the text? What about some example, which path is there and which path you need to paste there?
What would be nice is just an option to hit Ctrl+v when the mouse is over the address bar and have it paste & go to the directory in the clipboard (after making sure the path is valid that is).
Change the Alt+G to Ctrl+G, then you can use path from the clipboard using ctrl+g, ctrl+v, enter.

Another way might be using the Paste address bar button, so just click to edit and click the Paste button, but it doesn't work for text clipboard. I'll start a new topic for "paste and go".

Anti-Distinctlyminty

#6 Post by Anti-Distinctlyminty » 07.07.2016, 08:55

My FreeCommander was bugged a bit. If I used MMB on the address bar it wasn't highlighting all the text by default, but it is now after a machine restart.

However this...
You need to click the upper part/half of the address bar line.
still doesn't work. I've attached an image of where I'm clicking - I'm probably doing it wrong.
Another way might be using the Paste address bar button...
I'll look into this.
I'll start a new topic for "paste and go".
Thanks, it could be a really nice addition I think :)

m-a-r-k

#7 Post by m-a-r-k » 07.07.2016, 20:16

Sounds like the problem I'm having trying to click on a filename in details view to rename it.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 08.07.2016, 18:10

Anti-Distinctlyminty wrote:still doesn't work. I've attached an image of where I'm clicking - I'm probably doing it wrong.
That's the right space to click, it works with my new and old versions, but it doesn't work with default settings in the new version.

Try to use these settings (probably not all are available in your version):

Settings > View > Address bar > General:
[v] show hot area if cursor..
[v] show hot button for subfolders
[ ] show history popup menu..
[v] activate autocomplete

Then restart FC, if it doesn't help, try to downgrade, perhaps it was changed.

It works good in 680 public beta 32bit, use default settings, then just enable the option "[v] show hot area if cursor.." and restart FC (it doesn't work without it!), you can try this also in other public versions.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 09.07.2016, 16:21

Anti-Distinctlyminty wrote:Thanks, it could be a really nice addition I think :)
You can support my request, if you like it. :wink:

Anti-Distinctlyminty

#10 Post by Anti-Distinctlyminty » 10.07.2016, 20:16

Dreamer wrote: Try to use these settings (probably not all are available in your version):
Thanks Dreamer - that got it. It feels better already :)

Anti-Distinctlyminty

#11 Post by Anti-Distinctlyminty » 14.07.2016, 11:32

As an addendum: The reason this didn't initially work for me is that it seems to stop working after a while Clicking on an empty space/lower part of the address bar usually selects the text, but after some time it just wont anymore. After a restart it will work again, but there seems to be a bug in there somewhere. If I can find a way to reproduce it I'll let you know, but it's a tough one to track down.