How to have the tree on a tab only expand folder from tab

Discussion, questions and support.
gri6507

How to have the tree on a tab only expand folder from tab

#1 Post by gri6507 » 27.08.2015, 14:09

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, so please pardon any formatting violations I may have. I have been using FreeCommanderXE quite happily for many months now. However, I do experience one annoying behavior that I would like to see if I could somehow change. I like my FreeCommander to basically behave like a standard Windows Explorer with multiple tabs. So, I have it configured with "one tree per panel" and position in panel is "left-left" (I'm not quite sure why there are two position specifications since I only have one tree). I also have "tree visibility per tab unchecked.

Here's the behavior that I am experiencing. Let's say that I have only one tab open. I then use the tree in that tab to expand folders c:\foo\bar and c:\another\folder. Now let's say that I open another tab. This new tab defaults to the same folder that was last visible in the previous tab (it's arguable if that's what I actually wanted or not). However, the tree in this new tab comes pre-expanded to both c:\foo\bar and c:\another\folder, rather than expanding only the paths that are applicable to this tab. Similarly, if I then expand c:\third\folder in the second tab, and switch back to the first tab, the tree in the first tab will also show c:\third\folder expanded.

It's as though the trees, even though visible in each tab, are still the same tree across all tabs. I would much rather have the trees in each tab be completely separate and only show the operations that were done in that tab. Is there a configuration option that makes this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: How to have the tree on a tab only expand folder from ta

#2 Post by Dreamer » 27.08.2015, 20:50

Hello gri6507, welcome to the FreeCommander forum.
"left-left" (I'm not quite sure why there are two position specifications since I only have one tree). I also have "tree visibility per tab unchecked
That's because of dual pane option.
This new tab defaults to the same folder that was last visible in the previous tab (it's arguable if that's what I actually wanted or not)
Perhaps something like option for "select drive" > Show with drive select (root, history, same folder) would help.
I would much rather have the trees in each tab be completely separate and only show the operations that were done in that tab. Is there a configuration option that makes this possible?
AFAIK, it's not possible yet.

BTW it is possible to open a new tab just clicking any folder or drive letter in the drive bar with middle click to open the location as a new tab.

It looks I found a bug here, I'll start a new topic for that. (so I cant reproduce it anymore)