Report after coming back to Freecommander .....

Discussion, questions and support.
freecicero

Report after coming back to Freecommander .....

#1 Post by freecicero » 18.12.2014, 00:08

I want to post this to say how pleased I am with the latest version of Freecommander. Several years ago I was a regular user, but I strayed and purchased a license for XYPLORER, which is indeed a nice piece of software. I drifted away from Freecommander because at the time it didn't have what is now the "Favorite Items" pane, which I use a lot, and XYPLORER had it.

My use of a file manager is really very simple. I want (1) a tree view on the left for navigation, (2) a pane (also on the left) where I can constantly see my favorites (also for navigatgion). Then I want in the center of the screen a directory listing sortable in any way I want, WITH all files from all subdirectories in one view (that is a HUGE feature for me). Finally, I want a viewer window docked into the right side that changes as I select different files in the middle pane. I don't use dual pane very often - but I CONSTANTLY use the file manager set up this way as a navigator to find my files (which I store by directory) and then launch them. That means I constantly have the viewer pane open to help me be sure the document I've selected is what I want.

I realize that I am not using nearly all the power of the manager, but this is how I handle my work. I don't consider these requirements demanding, but frustratingly XYPLORER does not have a dedicated pane that I could dock into the right column of my view. It has has a viewer at the bottom, and a pop up can be brought up too, but I am picky about wanting it arranged left to right, and docked solid so I am not constantly having to fiddle. Freecommander does all this easily.

I contributed before to get the donor version of Freecommander, and I plan to do so again. This is excellent software, and it looks professional rather than geeky. It is an excellent product, and I wanted to publicly thank Marek for his excellent work.