Win Update Broke FC SVN Icon Overlays

Discussion, questions and support.
kda406

Win Update Broke FC SVN Icon Overlays

#1 Post by kda406 » 24.07.2014, 17:24

Icon overlays stopped working after a reboot.

For almost a year TortoiseSVN Icon Overlays have worked in my FreeCommander XE (build 650). Yesterday, the last task I was doing before leaving work for the day was importing projects into SVN using FC XE. Before I left I also installed Microsoft Updates for Windows 7 Professional x64:
  • KB2966583
  • KB2973337
Today, icon overlays were not working in FC XE or Explorer. I checked the registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers and I still have only TortoiseSVN and system identifiers listed. All settings on TortoiseSVN were checked and found to be correct (Drive Types Network drives checked for example).

I uninstalled the two Microsoft updates listed above and rebooted.

In Explorer, icon overlays work.

In FC XE, the icon overlays did not come back after uninstalling the Microsoft updates.

What should I try next?

Thanks,
Kyle

kda406

Re: Windows Update Broke FC SVN Icon Overlays

#2 Post by kda406 » 13.08.2014, 14:15

It has been 3 weeks and I still cannot use FreeCommander XE because of this issue. I've had to switch back to using Explorer. :cry:

Moderators, should this thread be moved to bug reports?

Thanks,
Kyle

Karol

Re: Win Update Broke FC SVN Icon Overlays

#3 Post by Karol » 13.08.2014, 15:51

KB2966583
KB2973337
Both updates are installed on my Win7/64 system and I can see SVN overlay icons all the time.
I think it is some problem with your system and not with FreeCommander.
You could try
- install the current SVN version
- install the current public beta release http://www.freecommander.com/fc_beta_en.htm.

kda406

Re: Win Update Broke FC SVN Icon Overlays

#4 Post by kda406 » 13.08.2014, 17:44

Karol wrote:You could try
- install the current SVN version
- install the current public beta release http://www.freecommander.com/fc_beta_en.htm.
I tried your suggestions, but FC XE (beta) does not show the icons now either. I upgraded from SVN 1.8.7 to 1.8.8, and installed FC XE Beta 655 over my public 650. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling TortoiseSVN. I double checked the registry ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers. The overlays still work in Explorer and not in FreeCommander.

What is most frustrating is that icon overlays worked for about a year before they suddenly stopped working.

I am happy to provide INI files, regsitry exports, screen shots, or answer questions to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,
Kyle