Settings NOT Saved

Discussion, questions and support.
KetchupKid

Settings NOT Saved

#1 Post by KetchupKid » 19.03.2014, 22:54

Note: this post has been edited. -Dreamer

I spent 45 minutes going through all the settings, choosing my preferences, etc. I even clicked on APPLY with every window. When I was done, I clicked OK and all seemed well.

Next time I opened this <removed> - none of my settings were saved.

I have tried a total of 9 different file management apps and this one came with a good review. I am so sick of people who can't program a microwave trying to create usable apps. Is there anything more basic than keeping settings from one session to another?

Please point me to a file management app that actually works!!

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Settings NOT Saved

#2 Post by Dreamer » 20.03.2014, 02:12

You should think twice how to write a question if you need help. You broke several forum rules:

• No insulting language, or swearing is allowed either.
• Make sure to search the forum before posting your question, issue, or suggestion.
• Add as many additional information as possible to your post, i.e. FreeCommander version, operating system, etc.

FreeCommander is not a problem, you should install it to different directory, not to "C:\Program Files", first try to change few options, save settings, exit the program and then configure the rest.

KetchupKid

#3 Post by KetchupKid » 20.03.2014, 21:52

Sorry about that. Frustrated.

It is installed on Win7 Pro, dual core, in the ProgFiles (x86) folder. I have XE 2014 build 650.

So are you telling me whenever one makes changes in the settings, even clicking 'apply' and 'OK' - that the settings are not saved? Why on earth not?

I am spending more time with it seeing if it will do what I want, but I need to know if I have to close settings then click 'tools' and 'save settings' every time? This seems like an incredibly senseless step - so I am assuming you have a reason. :?

K.Kid

alf5000

#4 Post by alf5000 » 20.03.2014, 22:21

try this
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 20.03.2014, 22:29

I am not a programmer, I'm just a moderator, so I don't know why it's like that and if it's on all systems.

Of course, you don't have to save settings manually, the option to auto-save settings on exit is enabled by default. The problem are the Windows rights, don't know it exactly, just use another folder, I'm using "D:\Programs\FreeCommander", you can just move the FreeCommander folder to a new path, then try to change one option and restart the program, to see the settings are saved correctly.

If you need more info, have a look at these posts/topics:

http://forum.freecommander.com/search.p ... mit=Search

You can also check the path of the ini file, in menu go to help > about > paths info, then you can check the file - if the settings are saved/changed correctly if you close the program.

Karol

#6 Post by Karol » 21.03.2014, 09:09

It is installed on Win7 Pro, dual core, in the ProgFiles (x86) folder. I have XE 2014 build 650.
Have you used setup for install or maybe you have copied "FreeCommander portable ZIP" into ProgFiles (x86)?
Check the location of the freecommander.ini: Help - About - Paths info.