Multi-function delete option??

Discussion, questions and support.
klxdrt

Multi-function delete option??

#1 Post by klxdrt » 22.02.2014, 20:33

Hi,

Look's like a great product! So far I's the best Free Mgr I've seen since I used Q-Dos in the 80's. Currently I use Power Desk 7 with W7 Pro & XP virtual enabled. However I been having problems PD7 and had problems with PD8 and I don't want to go thru that kerfuffle again. I've only scratched the surface of FerrCommanders, and am looking forward to using it in my 2 PC' plus XP virt.

Please help me on this if you can: Just downloaded Free Commander and in checking it out I came across a X Toolbar button that allowed you to choose from 3 options which I,m not sure of. I accidentally deleted it while installing & removing functions to the Toolbar to see actually what they did.
BTY is there a list on this forum of all the Toolbar functions and brief desc of what they do? I manage several thousands of files and folders, so I will need to set up the Toolbar with the most important ones.

cheers [:)]= (sponge bob square pants smiling)

klxdrt

joby_toss

Re: Multi-function delete option??

#2 Post by joby_toss » 22.02.2014, 21:04

I don't understand what did the 3 options allowed you to do.

This is the Default FC toolbar and the red X is for delete and has no options.

Was it a button you've added yourself?

Right click the toolbar and hit Customize action toolbar; you'll see a list of buttons with their descriptions:

klxdrt

#3 Post by klxdrt » 24.02.2014, 17:16

joby_toss

I would gladly show you "upload" a screen shot, but can't find the upload button that is usually below this txt box??
Copying-pasting an image did not work either??

I think the options were:

1) Send to recycle Bin
2) Deleted permantly
3) Wipe files

I put this info together to help out:

Dear FC users,

I'm new to FC and like it.
FC has a lot of very good functional options and may be daunting to new users. So to help you get started, I did a screen dump of all the ACTION TOOLBAR functional commands, below are links in PDF or .doc, for your choice.
Follow this link to download if you desire? http://www.klxdrt.com
I'm going thru all of them & picking the ones I need for my business; not smart having "too much (distracting) information" coming at you in the heat of the business battle.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

klx

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 24.02.2014, 20:21

I think you're talking about this:

To get this menu window using a toolbar button, you can:

1. add this button to your toolbar

2. add this button to your toolbar (the default X delete button) and select this option in settings

klxdrt

#5 Post by klxdrt » 24.02.2014, 21:23

joby_toss,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. As I mentioned, I'm new to FC, and nowhere does it indicate that I will have 3 options to handle File Removal.
The icons are duplicated for different functions and the description are vague.

Where does:

1)Use Windows: (always used this option last 25 tr.)
2)Use FC: (have no idea how this operates?)
3)Use Other: (have no idea how this operates?)

A) Please tell me why I should select #2 or 3 over #1?
B) Also, in the "reply to post" format, How, where can I upload an image?
C) How can I drag > drop a smiley icon so the image appears? This is what drag > drop gets me: posting.php?mode=reply&f=18&t=5752#
copy > paste gets me this: images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

D) Where is the "indent" function, as I would like to indent 1,2,3 & A,B,C for clarity.

Cheers,

klx

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 24.02.2014, 22:05

You're complicating things too much. Just use Windows delete method. Take a look here to get an idea about the difference: http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopi ... =18&t=5745

A) Why do you feel you should? Just use the default option offered in settings (windows method).
B) Upload your image to an images hosting website and paste the provided link (enclosed in [img] tags) in your message; I use www.imgur.com .
C) You don't drag a smiley, you just click on it.
D) I don't know.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 24.02.2014, 22:25

A) Advantage of using FC to delete items is, for example when you want to delete many files, using Win method you have to wait for the dialog, using FC method you can use auto minimize option and "delete FC - no dialog" shortcut, then you just press Delete key and operation is started and minimized immediately, so you don't have to wait, you can use FC. Disadvantage (for someone) is that a folder is not moved to recycle bin as is, but all items individually, so there are many items in the recycle bin and it's impossible to restore a whole folder at once, if needed.

B) Just addition, probably there is a post limit for attachments in the forum, please try again later.

D) If you mean the "split file" feature, it is available only in old version, it's not implemented in the XE version yet.